Snapping Not Working When Editing Vertices

Jump to solution
02-10-2022 08:39 AM
WillPlatt
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1.  After creating a polygon in a file geodatabase feature class when attempt to edit the vertices using Modify Features, snapping does not work.  I can create another feature and snapping works.  Sometimes editing the vertices in another layer and then going back to the original layer allows me to snap again.  Sometimes that doesn't work.  I have tried turning off the snapping, saving edits and the project, and then turning snapping back on, saving the project.  That sometimes works.  I can't find a rhyme or reason why the snapping isn't always working or why if I move between layers snapping sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Anyone having this kind of experience and any tips on how to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@PeteJordan Thanks for reporting the issue to Support and providing the reproducible steps. For others that might come across this issue, please contact Esri Technical Support so they can make sure your specific workflow matches the description of the following bug:

[BUG-000147089 Snapping stops working after using the Edit Vertices or Move tool with a specific workflow]

More info: Snapping can temporarily stop working for the Edit Vertices or Move tools if an edit is finished by activating another tool like the Select tool instead of using F2 or by clicking the finish button on the edit toolbar.

This bug will be fixed in the next version of ArcGIS Pro (3.0) Until then, to avoid the issue, be sure to finish edits using any of the following methods:

• Clicking finish on the edit toolbar (bottom of the map)
  • Hitting F2 on the keyboard
  • Clicking off the edited feature (somewhere else on the map)

If it should happen, to get snapping back, click on the Active Select tool on the Modify Features pane:

Scott_Harris_0-1645565028095.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WillPlatt that is not expected behavior. Esri Technical Support can help narrow down the reproducible steps: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

FYI - The List By Snapping view in Contents will let you control if layers are snappable:

Scott_Harris_0-1644512195984.png

If all layers are snappable, snapping is on, and all snapping agents are turned on, and snapping is not suspended (spacebar), then snapping should work while using Edit Vertices.

-Scott

DenverBilling
New Contributor III

This isn't the first time someone's posted about this! I am having similar issues, but since I upgraded to 2.9.1 it seems to happen less often. It slows down editing significantly.

Another thread about this was posted here. Not sure if @PeteJordan got anywhere with this.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @DenverBilling

I saw that @PeteJordan submitted a case with Support. Hopefully reproducible steps are found so it can be fixed. If anyone knows how to reproduce, please let us know.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, Matt over at ESRI is stumped on this issue still and is in touch with me almost weekly on his progress and testing of why this issue became big in 2.9.  I'm on 2.9.1 and still have the issue, but re-installing ArcGIS Pro didn't solve it and neither did a number of customization resets or such do anything either.

I have it noticeable on larger datasets, but have seen it on smaller ones as well.  Matt even said he was experiencing it as well, but then couldn't replicate the issue afterwards.  So as of now it's still a mystery, but it's is still being actively investigated...
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@PeteJordan Thanks for reporting the issue to Support and providing the reproducible steps. For others that might come across this issue, please contact Esri Technical Support so they can make sure your specific workflow matches the description of the following bug:

[BUG-000147089 Snapping stops working after using the Edit Vertices or Move tool with a specific workflow]

More info: Snapping can temporarily stop working for the Edit Vertices or Move tools if an edit is finished by activating another tool like the Select tool instead of using F2 or by clicking the finish button on the edit toolbar.

This bug will be fixed in the next version of ArcGIS Pro (3.0) Until then, to avoid the issue, be sure to finish edits using any of the following methods:

• Clicking finish on the edit toolbar (bottom of the map)
  • Hitting F2 on the keyboard
  • Clicking off the edited feature (somewhere else on the map)

If it should happen, to get snapping back, click on the Active Select tool on the Modify Features pane:

Scott_Harris_0-1645565028095.png

JeffBaker2
New Contributor III

I was having this same issue without success in getting snapping to occur.  Turns out my snapping had been suspended.  I got it to work by using the space bar option.  Select feature-->Edit Vertices-->press and release space bar ONE time-->snapping back on.  Hope this helps.

PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

@JeffBaker2:  That acutally seemed to work for me right now and a good workaround...

0 Kudos