Set-up grid/fishnet, rotate it arbitrary and get coordinates of polygon joints/vertices

Jump to solution
04-03-2022 03:59 AM
ChavdarKirilov
New Contributor II

Hello, everyone,

I'm an archaeologist and very often I'm confronted with the following task: I have to set up a square grid in the field (mostly consisting of 5 x 5, 10 x 10 or 20 x 20 meter squares), where usually two associated "source" points with exact coordinates are known. I mostly work with UTM projection and the bearing between them is easy to calculate.

What I usually need is to create a grid/fishnet in particular GIS software, then rotate it according to the calculated bearing, get the coordinates of the corner joints/vertices of each polygon and export the results in the form of a CSV table, which then I transfer to a GNSS-RTK unit. Years ago I created a spreadsheet for these calculations and it is still useful, but doing this with a GIS software is simpler and quicker.

I can easily do this in QGIS, but I'm missing there several features that are important to me so lately I've been considering switching to ArcGIS Pro. However, the task described is crucial, and I wanted to first find out if it's easy to accomplish in ArcGIS Pro with its in-built tools.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ChavdarKirilov
New Contributor II

Dear David,

thank you so much! Following the detailed instructions I succeeded in creating the desired grid. But I still cannot figure out how to get the coordinates of the corners of each grid-cell. Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Possibly Feature Vertices To Points (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation although I'm not sure if polygon vertices would get repeated, if so just use Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or Delete Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (use the geometry field to compare)

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ChavdarKirilov
New Contributor II

Dear David,

brilliant, I don't know how to thank you for the quick responses and the perfect solutions!

This was all I needed!

Cheers!