Set default font in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
12-08-2021 11:11 AM
BenPearse
New Contributor III

Is there a way to set the default font for ArcGIS Pro? I have changed the default font under options, but when I make a text box or a legend in my project it still defaults to Tahoma.

BenPearse_0-1638990659936.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you do have to pick a text style item, which can include things like color, size, halos, and more. It is possible to make a style item for just a font though. For me, the easiest way to do this is to add some text in an ArcGIS Pro layout and format it, then right click on it and choose Save to Style. Now you have a style item you can select in the option. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

C:\YourInstallFolder\Resources\Fonts

see if copying the font there helps.  It is supposed to check your windows font folder, but you never know

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BenPearse
New Contributor III

That didn't seem to work. The Century Gothic font wasn't in that folder, but I added it and nothing changed. I also tried changing the default font to one that was in that folder, but that didn't work either. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the maplex labeling engine?

Options, Map and Scene, Label Engine ...

Here is what the default font covers

font_properties.png

Text on a map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BenPearse
New Contributor III

Yes I am using the maplex labeling engine. And that is where I changed my default font but it is still Tahoma when I add in a new text box or anything with text.

0 Kudos
BenPearse
New Contributor III

Oh I see what is happening. If I create new labels for a layer they use my default font settings. Which is great, but is there no way to apply this to the default font for the legend or other text boxes?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then there is

BUG-000136005: The default font applied in the 'Text and Graphic' s.. (esri.com) 

see additional information since it is Not in Current Production Plan

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BenPearse
New Contributor III

I followed that link but still couldn't get it to work. I changed the Default Text Symbol to "Boundary", then when I added a text box that became my default font, but I can't figure out how to add a new project style with the font I would like.

BenPearse_1-1639069445411.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

apparently you can't from what I have read

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I have my default changed too but still get Tahoma all the time in different parts of the software.

0 Kudos