Replace geometry using a feature in another layer

Jump to solution
08-23-2023 12:53 PM
Labels (1)
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to replace the geometry of a single feature by copying the outline of a single feature in another layer.  Is that possible without manually tracing the outline of another feature?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

You can use the attribute transfer tool to "copy" the geometry (Shape field) from one feature to another.

Without setting up any of the other Fields, only the shape will be copied and the source feature will now have the same shape.

rzufelt_0-1692822718962.png

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

You can use the attribute transfer tool to "copy" the geometry (Shape field) from one feature to another.

Without setting up any of the other Fields, only the shape will be copied and the source feature will now have the same shape.

rzufelt_0-1692822718962.png

R_

HenryLyell
New Contributor II

Is it possible to do this for all features at once instead of one feature at a time?  I have a polygon layer (land parcels) with inaccurate boundaries.  Then I also have another polygon layer for these parcels where the polygons have been drawn accurately from actual surveys.  I have hundreds of parcels (polygons) I need to transfer geometry to.  Doing them one at a time will take a very long time.  I won't go into it, but I have my reasons for retaining the layer with the inaccurate boundaries (rather than simply using the accurately drawn polygons).  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Megan2
by
New Contributor II

I could be wrong, but the way I envisioning this particular tool to work is purely a copy and paste. It looks like you can copy from one feature and paste to many, like specifying a cookie cutter to use and then reusing it on however many features (dough). But what you are describing would require each correct parcel to be matched appropriately with each incorrect parcel, so a tool (or workflow) to make that happen would be structured very differently. It would need to search and find matches, or perform somewhat like a join before then copy and pasting. So it's like you'd need a way to specify the source layer and target layer, either specify a selection of features or all features from each layer, then a field to essentially match them by, then which fields to replace (unless doing all of them). And then some way to (ideally) identify which ones didn't match/replace, so you know which to then go edit manually if needed, especially if you have no other way of identifying which were edited and which weren't. It just strikes me as maybe a little too complex for the application to understand, but hopefully I'm mistaken!

0 Kudos