Refresh layer data for OGC feature service in ArcGIS Pro

12-24-2021 04:26 AM
aj-he
by
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro, I have added a set of OGC API feature service layers, which work well. However, as the data updates on the server, these changes are not reflected in ArcGIS Pro.

I have established the data is updating and the service is not caching.

I have tried using the Feature Cache tools to empty the cache, and I have tried clearing the cache in the individual layers but the changes don't come through.

Removing the layer and re-adding it makes no difference.

I have to close ArcGIS Pro and reopen to get the changes!

Does anyone know how I can trigger the layer to repopulate data from the server?

Tags (3)
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if the following steps work for you?

For the layer in ArcGIS Pro > Navigate to Layer Properties > General. 

Check "Layer should be refreshed periodically", with a desired interval.

JayantaPoddar_0-1640360715355.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
aj-he
by
New Contributor II

Thanks JayantaPoddar. This unfortunately did not work.

0 Kudos
aj-he
by
New Contributor II

As OGC API Connection is new to Pro at 2.8, I am wondering if this layer refresh has not been implemented properly?

So, to summarize whatI have tried now is...

1) Upgraded to 2.9 and used the Feature Cache to disable Auto cache.

2) For the OGC layers, disabled caching against the layer properties.

3) For the OGC layers, set the "Layer should be refreshed periodically" to 3 minutes.

I did remove the layer and re-add it to the map from the connection in Catalog in the same session, but the data was still not updated. Is this a workspace cache? Is this even a thing for OGC API connections?

AlexTate1
New Contributor

I've never been able to get the layer refresh functionality to work with an OGC API connection. I tried all the steps mentioned above by @aj-he but with no success and simply hoped that it would get fixed in some future ArcGIS Pro update but we are now at v3.2 and things are no different. 

In messing around with the OGC layer properties, I can get a layer to refresh from the server if I change the 'Set the maximum features returned' value. This presumably does fire off a new API request with a LIMIT=n filter. However, if you choose a max feature value that you had previously selected within the same session it will return stale data. This seems to prove that there is internal caching going on but the normal methods for disabling this cache are not working for OGC API connections. 

It would be great is someone from ESRI could definititively say that this functionality works as there doesn't seem to be much community use so far, so a feature like this might have had limited real-world testing.

0 Kudos
aj-he
by
New Contributor II

@AlexTate1 this is still an open bug (BUG-000147359) and I can't see any updates since it was raised in early 2022.

0 Kudos