Recommend parcel data provider which provides feature layers?

01-10-2022 10:37 AM
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

I have been developing a GIS platform in Online and Pro for site analysis, and we have been trying to find a provide of parcel data (i.e. property boundaries, parcel IDs, owner, address, etc) which we can integrate with as a feature layer through Pro or Online.  That is, we need to access the parcel data as a feature layer through a REST API.  We have looked at numerous providers and have come up empty.  Either they provide support only for Google Maps or Earth, or QGis.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

John,

I am assuming that you might not be able to find this very easily. In my experience, to get that kind of information, I have to go to each county's recorder office to obtain and sometimes it costs money. Are you looking for a nationwide dataset, or a smaller/specific dataset?

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Adrian, unfortunately we are unable to find such a provider of data on a nationwide level (given that we have to examine parcels anywhere in the U.S.).  Yes, we understand that any service we access will cost us money; we are not looking for a free service as none exists.

We have looked at various services, such as ReportAll, Parlay, Regrid, and so on.  None provide the data as a feature layer which can easily be tied into our map via ArcGIS Pro or Online.  Some only work with Google Earth or other non-ArcGIS application.  Right now we are leveraging caltopo (via commercial subscription) to access the parcel data, but would much prefer to access through ArcGIS Online/Pro since we are developing our platform on such.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, that makes sense. Is the Google Earth data in a cohesive KMZ or so? If so, one could possible write a script that converts that KMZ into an ArcGIS feature class on a scheduled basis and then work with that data.

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, to cover nationwide parcels, some providers would provide us a large number of KMZ or even shapefiles.  Also, the problem with such static data is that it changes in regard to boundaries and ownership, so the KMZ or shapefiles would have to be refreshed periodically, unlike a REST API service

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Right, that is understandable. That was what I meant about a script that ran every so often, like once a week (or once per day), that would take all those KMZs/shapefiles, convert them into one big happy geodatabase feature class, and then publish that data to the web, or wherever it needed to go. This is all hypothetical of course and based on many moving parts!

Amp_Dev
New Contributor II

Hi John,

I was wondering if you found a solution for this,

Let me know!

Thanks

0 Kudos