Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster to Polygon with maximum vertices of 4?

06-07-2024 10:56 AM
KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

Hello community,

I have a colleague who is looking to convert a raster to a bunch of little polygons of size equal to the individual raster cells. We've attempted to use the Raster to Polygon tool and set the Maximum vertices per polygon feature to 4, but the tool simply throws an error 999999. Bug? Issue with our methodology? Maybe there is a workaround or better way to go about this?

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have to offer.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Four vertices is a triangle, not a square. A square would have five vertices.

Edit: I should add that this is pretty much worst practice (aka "antipattern"). Using five vertices to store a pixel could only be made worse by using 9 or 21. On the extremely rare occasions where converting a raster to vector made sense in my own data models, it was only as a point, and only briefly. I'd suggest your colleague review why this is necessary before moving deeper into the process. 

- V

0 Kudos
KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

Interestingly enough I still had the same error result with setting the minimum to 5 or 6. I didn't go any higher.

However, after learning more about what my colleague was really looking for, I suggested the Extract Values to Points tool.

0 Kudos