Select to view content in your preferred language

"Add Database Server" like in ArcCatalog - is this still not possible in Pro?

02-15-2023 08:33 AM
Labels (2)
Kim_Graham
Regular Contributor

Hello, 

I came across this post that hasn't been updated for awhile: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/manage-sql-server-express/td-p/403017/page/2

Is it still not possible to create a database server connection to manage Sql Express databases from directly in Pro?  We are attempting to migrate to Pro for everything and are concerned that this still doesn't appear to be an option in Pro.  

Thanks.

12 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Frequent Contributor

From the information in the Current Help documentation, it appears only ArcMap can create Workgroup geodatabases. You should be able to create a geodatabase connection (.sde file) to consume the data stored in workgroup with a user account that has permissions (using ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro), then use that file in ArcGIS Pro to add the data to your project. More information on that here.

0 Kudos
Kim_Graham
Regular Contributor

Thanks for those, but it doesn't look like to me that it gives you the option to manage users.  Is there a plan to make this an option in Pro?  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

That I don't know Kim as I don't work on the ArcGIS Pro Development Teams rather I work for Training Services.  One option is to review existing ArcGIS Ideas to see if there is an idea to support this.  If there is not, then you can add a new idea.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Robert_LeClair  404 error on your second link - can you relink please? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Kim_Graham did you find an existing idea? @KoryKramer ?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Infuriating - I assume that Sql Express databases/ Workgroup is going away. Esri, official notification would be nice.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So it seems that workgroup geodatabases can be used in ArcGIS Server and ArcMap according to this help document but cannot be created in ArcGIS Pro. 

@KoryKramer - can you provide additional information to AndreaB?

0 Kudos