Question on assigning elevations to a contour shapefile

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 07:31 PM
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm using ArcGIS Pro V2.7 and have a question regarding assigning elevations to a contour shapefile (.shp) that I had georeferenced and digitized from a .jpeg file. Does anyone know how can I assign elevation values to a shape file?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

@JasonShim  , you need to enable the z-value coordinates when creating the shapefile. You will also need to define a vertical coordinate system. Below is what the options are in ArcGIS Pro.

image (11).png

You can check whether the shapefile is z-enabled by looking at the shapefile properties in Catalog.

Once the shapefile has been z enabled, editing the z-value is part of the capturing process. Here is a link to the Esri help which goes through editing the z-value: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/edit-vertex-z-values.htm

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

@JasonShim  , you need to enable the z-value coordinates when creating the shapefile. You will also need to define a vertical coordinate system. Below is what the options are in ArcGIS Pro.

image (11).png

You can check whether the shapefile is z-enabled by looking at the shapefile properties in Catalog.

Once the shapefile has been z enabled, editing the z-value is part of the capturing process. Here is a link to the Esri help which goes through editing the z-value: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/edit-vertex-z-values.htm

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info, Shelly. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Hi Shelley,

I tried using the edit z-value feature tool but that didn’t work for me. I wasn’t able to assign an elevation to it. Elevation is still showing as zero. I have attached a screenshot of my contour shapefile and inputs in Create Feature Class and Edit Vertices. Just wondering if there’s something that I’ve done incorrectly?

JasonShim_1-1621974860564.png

JasonShim_2-1621974907326.png

JasonShim_3-1621974907333.jpeg

JasonShim_4-1621974907341.jpeg

JasonShim_5-1621974907347.jpeg

0 Kudos