Select to view content in your preferred language

python standalone vs toolbox vs map window

12-23-2022 04:33 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it just me or does almost every tool function differently from standalone-script to toolbox-script to python-window in the map. I get that there are some necessary differences, but sometimes it just seems random, like two different teams designed the different functions and didn't communicate well. It makes testing scripts extremely frustrating.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JerryDavis
Occasional Contributor

From what I've seen, the main difference is in rendering the output. When I describe the rendering behavior to students, I describe the difference is in the cartographic world where all the symbology happens, one level of abstraction removed from the GIS data world, which is in turn one level of abstraction removed from the real world.  But at least for rasters it may also be that things like building a statistics file or not for continuous rasters may be a difference, but I haven't specifically tested it. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Some of the differences are understandable. But I've had other weird behavior in toolbox scripts. Right now I'm dealing with an issue where the JoinField tool works from a standalone script, but it doesn't do anything when run from a toolbox script. No errors, just doesn't join the fields. Very confusing.

0 Kudos