How to create a profile graph of an area on the Moon?

12-27-2022 08:22 AM
Labels (1)
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

Hello!

I'm trying to create an elevation profile of a line on the surface of the moon. I have a DEM for the area I'm working with and have created a polyline seen here:

MiniR_0-1672158027523.png

I've tried figuring out how to create a 3D line but can't seem to achieve that, and I'm not sure of another workflow. Does anyone have a solution or workaround to solve my issue? Thanks,

1 Reply
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

HI @MiniR ,

If you are in PRO you could use the preset elevation profile tools either in a 2D project or 3D scene. There are a bunch of related topics and tools, and if you're not using PRO it will be the same concept just in different apps and tools. Not sure if you have a high enough resolution to get a good graph off of the image you are showing but you might still be able to accomplish getting a profile graph out of it.

You may get more success using the interactive elevation profile tool. The ESRI Documentation for this and related tools are in the link below. You could use your line you've already drawn or create a new one snapping to the line using the preset tools. That might be the simplest way to go about it unless there are some configuration bits for your project or scene regarding the lunar DEM. May just be a simple conversion or transformation to get an accurate scene/project.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/exploratory-analysis/interactive-elevation-pro... 

Hope this helps, best regards

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos