Publishing Enterprise GDB Reference Feature Layers with Geographic Query Boundaries

10-04-2021 09:22 AM
DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

We want to start using our Enterprise GDB more especially for our master layers that have data from multiple projects all over the country. By doing this every layer that we publish as a reference is essentially a “view layer”. My question, is it possible to query the data by geographic area in ArcPro before publishing to Enterprise/Portal so that the user of the data layer in Portal only has access to the data in that area. Similar to how you can make view layers with Hosted Feature Layers in Portal.

Below is a posting I found on this subject a few years back but I didn't see that any resolution was found.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-ideas/feature-layer-views-for-non-hosted-data/idi-p/...

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This should be possible, but you would need to create a view of the data, then register it with the geodatabase, then publish from that registered view.

How you define the view would probably depend on your RDBMS, but it might look like this:

SELECT fields
FROM TABLE t
INNER JOIN regions r ON st_intersects(t.geom, r.geom)
WHERE r.name = 'some_region'
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

Josh, I'm going to try this out but I'm going to need help from another team member of mine next week who understands what you wrote better then me. I'll report back if this works

0 Kudos