Problem appending a feature class to a hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
12-13-2022 08:23 AM
RichardPenman1
New Contributor II

I experience a problem appending a feature class to a hosted feature layer.  I use a model builder tool to execute an append on multiple feature layers. The model works for almost all layers, only one layer gives me a problem appending. I receive an WARNING 000595 and 000594 and no records from the offending feature class are appended to the hosted feature layer.  There is an ESRI technical article from September 2022 that looks exactly like the problem I have.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024458

Unfortunately, the recommended workaround did not help me.  In the technical article, Esri acknowledges that this is "a known limitation" and refers us  to BUG-000133544 for more information.  But the hyperlink to the BUG article is a dead link.

I have tried to export the feature class to a new gdb, played around with every setting on the globalid field, tried changing the extent settings. Attempted to mirror all the settings of the feature classes that append successfully....Its extremely frustrating.

Any updates on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardPenman1
New Contributor II

I solved my issue by hardcoding the extent of the destination feature layer.  For reasons I do not comprehend, choosing extent parameters to "default" or "same as input" had no effect on the target feature layer in the append process.  X,Y,min,max remained "0" and "10" in the target feature layer despite what I chose as input parameter. Without a valid extent, Arc has no bounding box to land the features inside of, so it throws errors and nothing is appended.

The mystery for why ArcPro behaves this way remains, but at least I have found a workaround

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I haven't experienced the specific bug you are referring to, but I have had issues appending to some hosted feature services that have tens of thousands of records. The process can take several hours to complete which really isn't a feasible workflow. I don't know if this will help much but my work around is to overwrite the feature service  from a file geodatabase using python instead of  trying to append.

It took me a minute to setup the script, but once going, it gets the job done.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023164

Hope this helps some.

Michael 

RichardPenman1
New Contributor II

I fixed my near-term problem, see reply to my own post above.  

But I will be looking into your suggestion because I share your issue, is it better to append or overwrite?  For now, I chose to append because it keeps my symbols, pop ups, and expressions on the hosted feature layer and downstream dashboards intact.

I really appreciate the assistance.

0 Kudos
RichardPenman1
New Contributor II

I solved my issue by hardcoding the extent of the destination feature layer.  For reasons I do not comprehend, choosing extent parameters to "default" or "same as input" had no effect on the target feature layer in the append process.  X,Y,min,max remained "0" and "10" in the target feature layer despite what I chose as input parameter. Without a valid extent, Arc has no bounding box to land the features inside of, so it throws errors and nothing is appended.

The mystery for why ArcPro behaves this way remains, but at least I have found a workaround

0 Kudos