Select to view content in your preferred language

Pro maps won't load when using docking station

Jump to solution
07-16-2019 12:40 PM
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

Has anyone else had an issue with map tabs in ArcGIS Pro not loading when running a laptop through a docking station? Pro works fine when using the laptop alone, or running a monitor directly from the display port, but when I try to run two external monitors through the docking station, I never get past "Loading Map..."

I'm using a DisplayLink plugable USB 3.0 Docking Station and have verified the latest driver is installed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

I was going to try this, but found that my computer (I've only had 2 months) had only created 1 restore point, which was after the suspected update was installed. For now, the solution that appears to be working, is running one monitor through the computer itself, and one through the docking station. It's not ideal, but it allows me to run Pro and 2 screens without any issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Let me guess, you're using a Dell Laptop.......

0 Kudos
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

That is correct.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, Dell laptops (recently, last 2 years) switched the docking station hardware on their laptops and docks, which effectively rendered them non-working (Thunderbolt).

0 Kudos
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

Interesting. It worked until a few weeks ago, though.Have you found that to be true with other docking stations as well? I'm not using a Dell (Thunderbolt) dock.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you upgrade Pro between the time Pro was working through your laptop docking station and now that Pro no longer works properly?  If so, what version did you upgrade from and what is your current version now?

0 Kudos
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

I have upgraded to Pro 2.4. Before 2.4 came out, I was running 2.3.3. With 2.3.3 running, Pro would crash. I submitted an error report but was never contacted. Now that I have 2.4 installed, I get this:

Models or the Contents tab load fine, but anything with a map never loads. I tried some things with Tech Support, including opening a new map without a basemap in it, but that didn't work either. I am wondering if it was a Windows update and not an ESRI update.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to revert a Windows update to determine if that is the cause of your issue?  Do you have any idea when the last Windows update occurred?  Also do you have any control over whether a Windows update gets deployed to your computer?

0 Kudos
BenBaker1
Regular Contributor

I was going to try this, but found that my computer (I've only had 2 months) had only created 1 restore point, which was after the suspected update was installed. For now, the solution that appears to be working, is running one monitor through the computer itself, and one through the docking station. It's not ideal, but it allows me to run Pro and 2 screens without any issues.

0 Kudos
LifeAndLatitude
New Contributor

Did you find a solution to the docking station issue? I did a Windows update this morning and now my ArcGIS Pro documents won't open if my Dell laptop is plugged into the DisplayLink USB docking station. It was working before this update.

0 Kudos