Select to view content in your preferred language

Pro 3.2 Horizontal Legend Reversed

Jump to solution
12-05-2023 01:56 PM
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

I have a dataset using unclassed colors symbology. In the legend I selected type horizontal. This option results in the higher value on the left and the lower value on the right. I would expect the lower value on the left as that is how other types of symbology (ex: proportional symbols) appear when using type horizontal.

Current behavior:

ArielLow2146_0-1701813260960.png

Is there a way to have the lower value on the left?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In the Symbology Pane for Unclassed Colors, just switch your Upper Label and Lower Label values.  For example, your Lower Label value would be 170 and your upper label would be 1300. The Horizontal Legend will recognize this and do what you expect.  I tested this workflow in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If switching the order of the ramp doesn't sort the data, then it could be your data type..

Any chance the field is a text field (eg left justified in the table) ?

z = ['$1300', '$170']

sorted(z)
['$1300', '$170']

because if it is text, it is sorted.  You would have to add a new field and convert your existing field (strip the $ if necessary) to integer (as in the example)

z0 = [int(i[1:]) for i in z]
sorted(z0)
[170, 1300]

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In the Symbology Pane for Unclassed Colors, just switch your Upper Label and Lower Label values.  For example, your Lower Label value would be 170 and your upper label would be 1300. The Horizontal Legend will recognize this and do what you expect.  I tested this workflow in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and it works.

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both! In the symbology pane I reversed the values and reversed the color scheme which did the trick.

I'm now questioning why the Pro default is to have the higher value on the bottom and why I've never noticed that before but that is a separate line of questioning I won't go down.