Pro 3.0 won't install without Desktop Runtime 6.0.5. I installed it but still get error.

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 12:33 PM
smithsonpc
New Contributor

I just bought ArcGIS Pro 3.0 Personal license to use on a Windows 11 PC. The install fails with a message that I need Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 x64 or better. I installed ver 6.0.6 but still get the same error message.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

this file worked for me. i could only find 7.0 or 6.0.1. i had 7.0 but that one didn't work.

0 Kudos
RedFoxx
New Contributor II

This solution did not work for me; I have tried installations of 6.0.5, 6.0.6, with desktop runtime on its own (x64) and desktop runtime along with the .net installation. I still receive the same error; and I have successfully uninstalled the conflicting programs with each run. I see that people continued to have this issue (on Windows 11, x64) and it has been regularly ignored. I would really appreciate it if this could be properly be addressed, as most of us have spent 100+ dollars on this software.

0 Kudos
MarijanSlak
New Contributor

Hi,

I have witnessed strange behaviour of ArcGIS Pro 3 after install.

Test 1 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (version 1809, OS build 17763.2928):

ArcGIS Pro 2.9 is working OK

Uninstall ArcGIS Pro 2.9

Install Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 (x64)

Install ArcGIS Pro 3.0

After running ArcGIS Pro the process is staying in »Background Processes« and »splash screen« does not appear.

Test 2 on Windows Server 2019 Standard:

Install ArcGIS Pro 3.0

After running ArcGIS Pro the process starts in »Background Processes« then jumps in "Apps",  »splash screen« appears and ArcGIS Pro is running OK.

Test 3 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (version 1809, OS build 17763.3287):

ArcGIS Pro 2.9 is working OK

Uninstall ArcGIS Pro 2.9

Install ArcGIS Pro 3.0

After running ArcGIS Pro the process starts in »Background Processes« then jumps in "Apps",  »splash screen« appears and ArcGIS Pro is running OK.

Does ArcGIS Pro 3 really depend on Windows LTSC version and OS build number?

Any advice appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
EugenioArima
New Contributor III
Sorry I can't help you, I just use ArcPro locally, not on servers.

0 Kudos
jkarmon
New Contributor III

How I got around this Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 x64 issue for a named user license update of ArcGIS Pro:  I did a full uninstall of 2.9.x, then performed a silent install!  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-installation-administration.htm  Worked like a charm!

0 Kudos
GabrielleFriedman
New Contributor

I was able to get this to work by doing a full uninstall of 2.9, doing a regular install of 3.0 and uninstalling .NET 6.0.9 x86.  I also ran a tech check for 3.0 https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm and it said I had no version of .NET desktop runtime even though I have 6.0.9.  I ran the install anyway and it seems to work (no more crashing with symbology changes, etc.).

0 Kudos
ReginaDawkins
New Contributor II

You guys.  I wanted to see if I could maybe help to save some of the frustration as I recently encountered this error myself and I am a tech that was trying to help install it for someone.  I spoke with this great tech from ESRI SKPully and he was such a big help to me.  I was trying my best to rename files to .old just in case remnants of the program were still on the computer and blocking the installation but I was missing some items for sure.. So please try to use this to completely uninstall the ArcGIS... 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r...

Restart the computer to verify that everything uninstalls correctly.

Before or after running the program above:

Install the 6.05 or higher desktop runtime.  We just installed the SDK 6.0.402 for 6.10 but all are found at the link below.  Download the (x64) versions for install only, but I have tried it with just the 6.05 (x64) desktop runtime.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

Then try to run the ArcGIS 3.0 install again.  I hope that this help everyone.  I did notice too that sometimes when it is not working correctly, you will see the message about accepting the EULA, but once it starts to work , you will see the screen that reads "Install this application for:"  "You or anyone who uses the computer. "  Good Luck.  Regina D. 😊

MartyRyan
New Contributor III

I am trying to take an Esri MOOC that uses ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and am having the same problem. I have installed the Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 - I've downloaded Pro and it extracts the files but the multiple times the setup process fails immediately with the "ArcGIS Pro requires Microsoft.NET Desktop Runtime (x64)" error. Since I've downloaded the Desktop Runtime, why is Pro apparently unable to see it? Where should I put the Runtime file? Using "dotnet--info" shows me it is installed. 

I have been at this for a couple of hours,,, it is frustrating when Pro does not seem to work without having to be uninstalled and reinstalled. In my case, it won't even install the first time. 

0 Kudos
ReginaDawkins
New Contributor II

Mr. Ryan, 

Were you finally able to install the ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

0 Kudos
RobPatrick
New Contributor

Ms. Dawkins,

Our organization is attempting to automate this process and we found that deleting this registry key, once 2.9 was uninstalled, allowed 3.0 to install.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\6E547C621C3BB764593227D78130EE70

Thanks for your help!