Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

Thanks. I get pretty much the exact same error log. I can't implement any of the fixes suggested.  I am asking if other departments are affected too. I was hoping that a new Windows update would fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Symbology crash happens with KB5107380 and KB5016316.  Both machines have .NET 4.8.1

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

I fixed this issue by uninstalling KB5017266.  I went to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates, selected it and uninstalled it, which required a restart.  I have sent an email to my IT division.  Thank you, everyone, for posting, and hopefully Microsoft and/or Esri will be able to send out some good updates to fix this (or prevent this) bug on other systems!  Good vibes!

RogerDiercks1
New Contributor III

That solved the issue for me and some other users in my organization as well. We don't really have a need to get an early look at updates, so IT is exploring the possibility of disabling preview updates across the organization. Hopefully that will reduce the risk of issues like this arising. A best practice I'm seeing repeatedly mentioned is to wait for Patch Tuesday to install non-critical updates.

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Please remember, Roger, that Microsoft admitted in their post that a preview update was accidentally included in the regular Windows Update service, which shouldn't have happened.  They listed it as a known issue in the KB article for KB5017266.  So, my guess is that your I.T. department probably already has previews from being automatically disabled, but this preview cut in line and labeled itself official.

MarGIS
by
New Contributor III

I have faced the same issue on ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1 (Windows 10 Pro) and when I installed installed ArcGIS Pro 2.9.4 it did solve the problem but when I installed .net 4.8.1 the issue was fixed.

0 Kudos
MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

Thanks, I'll probably have to wait for the patch, my IT is not flexible. 

0 Kudos
FlorianHoffmann2
New Contributor II

I have the problem, too.

• Windows 10 Pro 21H2
  • .NET Framework 4.8.1 (dev-full)
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.9.4

Without the (windows) update, it works.
But when I open the windows-update-screen and search for updates, the updater will reinstall it again, with no questions asked.

I just reported my error-report with the minidump-file to esri, perhaps it can help.

0 Kudos
FlorianHoffmann2
New Contributor II

Patch 2.9.5 fixed it for me. Installed the Windows-Update and it still works.