Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
Labels (1)
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

* SEE POST https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-documents/recent-microsoft-net-update-resulting-in-arcgis/t...  from ESRI community moderator KoryKramer for clearer guidance as of October 13, 2022. Thanks to Kory for the post.

We have resolved the issue at our organization by uninstalling Windows update KB5017262 (2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64). Uninstalling an OS patch isn't ideal, but allows us to continue working in Pro 2.9x. Here's hoping ESRI releases a fix in short order!

UPDATE - Further to this issue, we tested on a machine running 2.9.3. We left KB5017262 in place and installed the latest .NET Framework (4.8.1) and the issue resolved. Thanks Daniel_Schmidt for bringing up .NET versions as an avenue to investigate.

UPDATE (September 29, 2022) - Yesterday we tested turning windows updates back on. .NET 4.8.1. KB5017266 has recreated the problem in our environment at Pro 2.9.2 and 2.9.3.  (September 20, 2022-KB5017266 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10, version 20H2, Windows 10 Version 21H1, and Windows 10 Version 21H2).

UPDATE (October 3, 2022) - Our case supporter has found this report from Windows. KB5017266 and KB5017262 both have known issues. The report indicated these Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) updates are listing errors (should not have been released): https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/september-20-2022-kb5017266-cumulative-update-preview-for-...
This would affect users working in organizations where Windows updates are managed by WSUS and likely other types of update manager software.

View solution in original post

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

A defect has been created for this issue in Esri Support Services.

Please open a support ticket and use the following description in your request:

"Windows update KB5017266 and a .NET Framework version below or above 4.8.1 will develop a crash in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.7-3.0.2 when attempting to edit Symbology."

Thanks, Rachel for creating this defect for the community.

Some customers may be able to resolve the issue still by doing the following:

Leave Windows KB5017262 in place and install the latest .NET Framework (4.8.1).

This may not work for customers whose environment receives updates via  Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

View solution in original post

104 Replies
Christian_Sebaly
New Contributor III

We are facing the same problem. All users have reported program crashes when using symbology functions (Pro version 2.9.x).

hamed_Farzin
New Contributor

we had the same problem, It is result of windows new security patch. I uninstalled the patch for now and started to work.  Perhaps ESRI will come with an other patch to resolve this issue. 

GregorySchifrin
New Contributor

Thanks, I did that and it is fixed for now.

0 Kudos
LuisOsmundoTorresSam
New Contributor

I have the same problem.  

0 Kudos
MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

I began having that issue today. I just click on symbology and it crashes. I even moved to a different computer and tried it there and it crashes too. Even a new map with one layer in it is enough to crash it when I click on the symbology in the table of contents. I have tried in Layouts vs. Maps and it's consistently crashing. 

fkashirtsev
New Contributor

I was having the same problem in 2.9.3. I just updated to version 3.0.2 and it no longer crashes when working with symbology. I had to download a new version of Windows .NET Desktop Runtime (x64) to update. Here is a link to the download: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0/runtime

Christian_Sebaly
New Contributor III

We opened a support ticket on the Esri Technical support page - issue is being analysed. This may take a short while but upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3 is no option for us right now. It's a major release and the new version comes up with various implications which might cause new, unforseen problems.

MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

Thanks. I am on a government machine where updates in Windows and  Arc aren't so easily/casually done. I'm relieved that it seems to be due to a Windows update (instead of just on my end). I'll stand by for the fix(es). 

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Can we try updating your .NET framework to 4.8.4?

0 Kudos