Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Same thing is happening to my organization.  I cannot find any updates from ESRI on this issue.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew.  We are aware users are experiencing this issue - we are still trying to determine the exact cause.  Can you share system information?  Windows KB?  .NET framework version?  Anti-virus?  Ensure display drivers are up to date?

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

KB5017262

.NET 4.0

AVAST

It is working fine on a machine that has KB5017266

Both are on Pro 2.9.3

0 Kudos
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Not so with KB5017266 for us unfortunately, the update to 4.8.1 in this KB broke symbology again for use at 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Installing .NET 4.8.1 work for us.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Is there a place where ESRI posts when things that they aware of like this happen?

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

@Daniel_Schmidt If Esri is aware of the issue, what is the bug number, please, so I can follow it?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

A defect has been created for this issue in Esri Support Services.

Please open a support ticket and use the following description in your request:

"Windows update KB5017266 and a .NET Framework version below or above 4.8.1 will develop a crash in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.7-3.0.2 when attempting to edit Symbology."

Thanks, Rachel for creating this defect for the community.

Some customers may be able to resolve the issue still by doing the following:

Leave Windows KB5017262 in place and install the latest .NET Framework (4.8.1).

This may not work for customers whose environment receives updates via  Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

Thanks, I will use this to submit a ticket with our IT. 

RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

The article that @PiperMcKinnon1 sited in their third UPDATE on Microsoft's web site mentions that one of the improvements was:

"Addresses issues arising in TreeView (or ListBox/DataGrid with grouping enabled) when changing the underlying collection(s) while also collapsing or expanding TreeView nodes. Scrolling actions, especially "short" actions like LineUp or MouseWheelUp, can result in poor outcomes: hangs, crashes, unexpected scrolling, gaps in the display, etc."

In the call stack sent to Event Viewer, I found this line:

System.Windows.Data.ListCollectionView.AddItemToGroups(System.Object, MS.Internal.Data.LiveShapingItem)

Grouping is definitely a part of the symbol pane, and if it's a ListBox or DataGrid that Esri is using to populate our symbols, then that should lead to how it's crashing Pro.  The Windows Update contained a preview, so whatever improvement had been made is something that Pro took advantage of (or assumed was True) and now we have this unhandled exception.

0 Kudos