Preserving Global IDs with ArcPro 3.2 Append

Jump to solution
01-10-2024 09:40 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I've been having some trouble using the updated append tool since upgrading to ArcPro 3.2. So I have  a feature class (A) that I am migrating to a new feature class (B).  A has global IDs enabled, which are required for photo attachments and a related table, and so B feature class must have them enabled as well. I set up Feature Class B and enabled Global IDs. 

Okay, so now when I go to append features from A and use the field mapper, GlobalID is one of the mappable field. If I run the append by filling out the GlobalID field, the correct Global ID does not get written in to dataset B - it's just a new GlobalID

ZachBodenner_0-1704907665984.pngZachBodenner_1-1704908156693.png

I discovered this after my initial workflow failed: I went into the environment settings and selected Preserve GlobalIDs and then left the field map option blank. But that results in the Global ID of feature class B being written as 000-...

ZachBodenner_2-1704908348400.png

Which, if I'm appending more than one feature, will fail on the second feature because it's trying to write the same value to all the records.

What am I missing? Prior to 3.2 I was able to do work like this with no issues at all.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Absolutely! I will illustrate with pictures:

Attempt 1: I use the field mapper to make sure that the GlobalID from my input dataset is being written into the GlobalID of my Target Dataset. I leave the environment setting "Preserve Global IDs" unchecked:

Append, GlobalID to GlobalID - No Preserve.PNG

 When I do that, you can see that the GlobalID is not actually written in correctly:

Result 1.PNG

Attempt 2: As above, except this time in addition to matching GlobalID from the Input to GlobalID from the Target, I also make sure the environment setting is checked on too:

Append, GlobalID to GlobalID - WITH Preserve.PNG

 The result is now what we're looking for, the Global IDs are written in correctly.

Result 2.PNG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

not sure if this is related

BUG-000156786 for ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Possible, though after doing more testing the solution is that both options need to be enabled - that is, in the field mapper you need to set Global ID from B to equal Global ID from A and also the environment setting needs to be set to preserve Global IDs. Seems counterintuitive that it should be the case, but I'm back off and running so I'll take it!

StefanBrandt
New Contributor III

Pardon me, but could you elaborate on your solution? I have run into the same issue as you described in your original post, but have been unable to solve it.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Absolutely! I will illustrate with pictures:

Attempt 1: I use the field mapper to make sure that the GlobalID from my input dataset is being written into the GlobalID of my Target Dataset. I leave the environment setting "Preserve Global IDs" unchecked:

Append, GlobalID to GlobalID - No Preserve.PNG

 When I do that, you can see that the GlobalID is not actually written in correctly:

Result 1.PNG

Attempt 2: As above, except this time in addition to matching GlobalID from the Input to GlobalID from the Target, I also make sure the environment setting is checked on too:

Append, GlobalID to GlobalID - WITH Preserve.PNG

 The result is now what we're looking for, the Global IDs are written in correctly.

Result 2.PNG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tool environment settings should take precedence over any other setting set elsewhere.

I couldn't find a global setting for preserving global ids in the project, options, settings under geoprocessing or editing or elsewhere

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes it definitely should, though as I mentioned in the original post, when I had the field map Global-to-Global not set, but the tool environment Preserve Global IDs toggled on, I was getting a tool failure.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

BUG-000156786 for ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

it now says In Product Plan dated Feb 12, 2024, so I presume for 3.3

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LMedeirosUI
Occasional Contributor

@DanPatterson Does this link still work for you? I am getting a 404 page...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It appears to be gone now

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos