Creating new Columns in Attribute table

08-23-2022 01:20 PM
Labels (2)
DEVANBarrett
New Contributor II

Running the latest ArcGIS Pro version. I just recently got hired to a company building map products based on field collected data. The map I am creating has data spread across a handful of excel sheets. The attribute table that my map is running has a column of data missing. I am trying to figure out how to add said data so that I can adjust my legend to represent the missing data. Is there a way in ArcGIS Pro to just add the data directly, it is a very small amount. Or do I have to export said table, open, add the data in excel and then reload the table?? I used ArcGIS/ArcMap but it has been 10 years since the last time and am extremely rusty.

9 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor
  • Open the attribute table, click on Add Field
    JohannesLindner_0-1661329036319.png

• Enter your field info
    JohannesLindner_1-1661329069746.png

• Save your changes
    JohannesLindner_2-1661329111008.png

Have a great day!
Johannes
DEVANBarrett
New Contributor II

Hey Johannes, thanks for the information but I am looking at creating a new Column, not a new row. I think that I need to Join two tables but I was messing up the proper steps to do just that.

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

To add a field (column) to a table, Pro opens up a Fields View of the target table as shown in Johannes' screen captures. Each field in the target table occupies (is defined in) a row in Fields View. This where you define the new field's structure (Name, Data Type, etc) --> Save --> close. The new field will appear in the target table ready for use.

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you're mixing up your terms.

In ArcGIS, and I believe in most database management systems, "column" (or "field") means the vertical parts of a table, while "row" means the horizontal parts. More info: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/tables/tables-in-arcgis-pro.htm 

"Joining two tables" means adding some or all columns of Table1 to Table2, based on the equalness of a column in both table.  More info: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/add-join.htm 

Based on your mixup, I think you might be interested in appending Table1 to Table2. This takes all rows of Table1 and copy/pastes them into Table2. More info: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm 

If you want to add new rows manually, it depends on whether you work with a pure table or a table with a geometry field (Shapefile or Feature Class).

For tables:

• open the attribute table, scroll down
    JohannesLindner_1-1661410554320.png

• click where it says "Click to add new row"
    JohannesLindner_2-1661410595370.png

• A new row gets created, you can input your values.
  • Save your edits
    JohannesLindner_3-1661410664928.png

For Feature Classes:

• open the feature creation panel
    JohannesLindner_4-1661410761828.png

• in the panel, click on the feature template you would like to create. If you click on the arrow to the right, you can input the attributes of the feature.
    JohannesLindner_5-1661410924138.png

JohannesLindner_6-1661410963668.png

• Choose one of the geometry creation methods and draw your feature on the map. FInish by clicking on the button, pressing F2 or double-clicking.
    JohannesLindner_7-1661411081116.png

• Save your edits.

Have a great day!
Johannes
DEVANBarrett
New Contributor II

You are correct Johannes,  I am trying to add a column (Vertical) to a table.

When I open the attribute table to the layer I am working on, there 5 vertical columns. There is a separate excel table that has 2 extra columns of data that I need to add to the original attribute table to properly display them onto my map. I am running into the roadblock of how to add the extra data and still keeping them attached to the layers specific polygons. 

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Import your Excel sheet into ArcGIS Pro and run the Join Field tool. Use the polygons as input table and the Excel sheet as join table. Choose a field for both tables that uniquely identifies the features. Choose the fields you want to add to the input table.

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
Angelica
New Contributor

Hopefully you got this figured out since it was a long time ago but for anyone that clicks on this hoping for answers and is still confused, Clicking add new field does indeed make a new column in the attribute table. It looks like it makes a new row because it takes the list of columns and turns them horizontally in fields view, but when you go back to the attribute table you will see that a new column has been made. Hope this helps

CaitlinOtt-Conn
New Contributor

@Angelica is there another step necessary in order for that newly created column and associated data to be visible in the layout view? I am trying to add a table and the new column is not appearing as an option in the table frame. Thanks!

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

In Layout view --> right click on the target Table Frame in the Contents pane --> click Add Field (at the top) --> pick the new field(s) to add to the Table Frame display.

BarryNorthey_0-1715903559319.png

0 Kudos