Preparing for utility network - converting features to 3D using existing elevation values

12-06-2022 07:49 AM
Labels (1)
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I am trying to convert a dataset of 2D utility points and lines to 3D using Esri's Feature to 3D by Attribute tool. The features in this dataset all have an elevation field, except for the lines.

I am then loading the converted 3d features into a feature dataset in a postgresql database. I'm using nad 83 stateplane for XY, and trying to use nad83 for the vertical datum. When I check the points in the database, the elevation values are there, but they are wrong. I'm guessing there is a mismatch going on between our elevation values which are in US feet and the vertical datum which is in meters. 

I guess I could convert our elevations to meters in the attribute data. 

The end result I'm trying to arrive at is having all these features in the dataset, with z values if they are available, in preparation for conversion to the utility network model. I realize there is a lot involved with this in total, but at the moment I'm just trying to get the initial setup done.  Any tips for those that have gone through this with elevations in US feet?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
0 Replies