Possible to set a scale/classes when varying symbology by attribute (color)?

11-30-2021 12:43 PM
Labels (1)
CraigBeebe01
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if it is possible to set a scale or set classes when using bivariate symbology for point layers?  The layer in question is first symbolized by graduated symbols with set classes and then varying symbology (color) by attribute.  As far as I can tell, the scale option is only min to max of the attribute and you can use a slider to condense as needed.  In my particular instance, the map series needs a set scale/classes for size and color.  See picture below for current options in 'vary symbology by attribute'.Vary by color scale/optionsVary by color scale/options

Tags (1)
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This might not be the most appropriate workaround.

Would it be fine for you, if the symbol size vary continuously based on an attribute?

If that works, then you could use your primary symbology option as Graduated Colors, and vary symbology by size.

JayantaPoddar_0-1638306937547.png

JayantaPoddar_1-1638307013604.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
CraigBeebe01
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, both size and color need to have set scales for the maps to be comparable.  I appreciate the thought though.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Gah, I almost thought this was the solution for me. That could work reasonably well for point layers in some cases, but not polygon layers. Which I could convert...but at that point, might as well just go the symbol property connection route.

0 Kudos