Place one label for contiguous features based on attribute?

Jump to solution
05-13-2022 08:11 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to solve an ArcPro labeling challenge: Is it possible to restrict ArcPro to place only one label for multiple contiguous features if they share the same attribute? Real-life situation: a layer of parcels for zoning will have many parcels sharing boundaries that have the same zoning designation. ArcPro will label each parcel based on the zoning designation (see attached snip). The attached photo has a stretch of parcels zoned as LDR (low density residential). Can I get ArcPro to place one label for the contiguous stretch of LDR parcels (and subsequently, a different stretch of contiguous LDR parcels will also get one label for the lot of them)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah I figured there probably wasn't a way to accomplish this. Unfortunately dissolve would be a good solution if I was just needing to make a static map or something, but having a reference to the underlying features class as it gets updated makes that not work. Thanks though!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you played with the Labeling Properties > Position > Conflict Resolution > Repeat Option? I've had some success there. You could also convert to annotation and position your label manually.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Unfortunately manual placement isn't much of an option - I'm chasing this down for users in our planning department who are asking after this feature either for labeling in their web maps (so, serving up the zoning layer to our federated server and consuming it from a REST endpoint) or being able to add a .lyrx that references the geodatabase to their own projects. 

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

The Remove duplicate labels label placement property is the closest way to achieve this without any further editing, but it won't take into account contiguous areas exactly like you wish. 

JesseWickizer_0-1652721054252.png

If you must only have 1 label per contiguous block of similar parcels, you should dissolve the parcels layer by the zoning attribute (do not Create multipart features), then use the resulting zoning areas layer to label the map with 1 label per group of parcels of the same zoning.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah I figured there probably wasn't a way to accomplish this. Unfortunately dissolve would be a good solution if I was just needing to make a static map or something, but having a reference to the underlying features class as it gets updated makes that not work. Thanks though!

0 Kudos