Pie Chart Problem

03-23-2022 07:22 AM
tomsanfilppo
New Contributor II

Hello, I am mapping our fish survey trawls on ArcGISpro, and I was wondering if it's possible to place a pie chart on each location that we trawled showing the % species caught. Is it possible to do that since the species is not numeric? Is there any other work around  that doesn't involve me having to write the expression to convert to numeric data for 20 different fish species? Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

Can you show us a sample of the data you want to summarize in the Pie Chart symbols... an image of the fields you have to use and their values maybe; or a sample .csv file?

0 Kudos
tomsanfilppo
New Contributor II

So I took a screenshot. in the symbology pane, it shows that two fields are missing (Common name of fish, and their associated weight totals for that particular tow). I noticed that both are not numeric type of  fields, and I know in order to make a pie chart, I guess the fields it uses need to be numeric and not a string. Is there any work around other than having to write expressions to turn that "common name" field into a numeric type of data. All I want to do is add a pie chart for each lat/long point to help visually represent the make up of catches and how that changes with depth.

0 Kudos
KimGarbade

Sorry to ask another question, but I'm trying to picture the data: each tow will have many records in the table; one for each fish type?  For example:

KimGarbade_0-1648051180945.png

If this is true is this a table linked to a point feature class or is it a feature class with multiple points at the same location.. I.E. stacked on top of each other, one point for each fish type at each tow location?

0 Kudos
tomsanfilppo
New Contributor II

Its just like your example and its  a feature class with multiple points stacked on top.

0 Kudos
KimGarbade

Sorry.  No easy way.  Just a not so bad way.

If your data is in a database table leave it their before you convert the data to points.  Then create a database view using SQL similar to that shown below.

Original Data (SQL Table, could have been imported from .csv):

KimGarbade_1-1648061699835.png

Use the "Create Database View" geoprocessing tool using this code

KimGarbade_2-1648061899350.png

easier to read version below

KimGarbade_7-1648063679749.png

Then you can use this view (TestView in my case) to create a new query layer in your map by dragging it onto your map's table of contents.  The new query layer looks like this:

KimGarbade_3-1648062219128.png

You can now use the add data tool's X,Y point conversion tool to bring the data into the map in such a way that it can use Pie Chart Symbology 

KimGarbade_4-1648062916907.png

As for the weights being in text, you can make the conversion when you make your database view using the SQL CAST() function... something like this should work:

KimGarbade_6-1648063661929.png

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos