PDF exported from Pro: Cannot edit text. Why?

12-07-2017 10:39 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

When export a PDF out of Arc, I can subsequently edit text elements in Acrobat:

The same imported map in Pro -> Export to PDF -> Attempt to edit any text element results in the following:

Is this by design?

24 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thomas.  Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

The development team has logged it as an issue to be fixed.  It won't make the 2.1 release but hopefully in a dot dot release if there is something before 2.2.

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to clarify: we are using a different method of writing text into Pro PDFs that retains many of the advanced parameters such as intercharacter spacing in text placement.  So we can't just switch back to the way that ArcMap did it without bringing back some existing issues in text placement in ArcMap exports. We are evaluating a way to resolve this that does not lose those properties, and we'll put it in when we have a solid fix.

As a workaround, we found that it is possible to select ALL the text in the string and then retype the new string.  I know it's not ideal, but that should at least let you replace the strings or edit them as needed.

pctuserpittsfield
New Contributor III

Thanks for the the workaround clarification.  I would like to know if there are any updates to the PDF export engine allowing text edits in in the resulting document.

HeyHelp_Desk_Guy
New Contributor II

Has there been any updates about this issue?

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

This is logged as BUG-000111662.  We have it up for investigation in the release after 2.5 (which is already in progress), but be aware that the next release of Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud (which will allow you to bring Pro content directly into Adobe Illustrator for post-editing) will also allow similar workflows by going direct from Pro to AI.  

HeyHelp_Desk_Guy
New Contributor II

Thanks Jeremy. I'm guessing Adobe is just taking their time to slowly release a patch. 

0 Kudos
HeyHelp_Desk_Guy
New Contributor II

Hey Jeremy, so in talking with other institutions they have the ability to edit PDF's. Do you happen to know if certain versions of Acrobat work?

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am going to like every one of your GN Posts based soley on your user name....

HeyHelp_Desk_Guy
New Contributor II

HAHA. Thanks Thomas.