Parcel Owner Data Crashing Symbology Values

10-23-2022 04:20 PM
Landscape_snarkitect
New Contributor

Hello,

I added parcel data from a large county, and I would like to symbolize all of the parcels owned by different city, transportation, and county entities.

Under Layer Properties>Categories>Unique Values, I have selected the value field "current owner," which gives me the option to add owners to be symbolized individually. While I can see the city's land ownership, I cannot see every owner that I need to symbolize. When I click on "complete list" it either crashes or searches every property owner in the city (it has been loading for 2 hours now). 

Is there a super quick way to search the name of the entities I am looking for (i.e., the municipal transportation agency name) rather than search for MILLLIONS of property owners within the city at once? I only need to see about 3-4.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you know the names you're looking for, couldn't you just manually add those classes, rather than generating the full list?

You could also try using an Arcade expression to find names that contain certain key words or phrases.

var n = $feature.name

function word_check(word){
    return Find(word, n) > -1
}

var key_words = [
    'city of',
    'department',
    'agency'
]

return Iif(
    Any(key_words, word_check),
    n,
    null
)

This would give you the unique names, but only if at least one item in key_words appears in the name somewhere.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Landscape_snarkitect
New Contributor

Only the top 10 or so entities with the most land appear on the list, so it is not an option to see the ones I need to in order to add them. How do I do what you are suggesting? I am not a very strong user of GIS so I don't quite understand what you are doing there. Thanks!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you know that there are specific values in the list that you want, but you don't actually know what those specific values are without seeing the full list, I would suggest running something like summary statistics on the layer to get a list of distinct names that you can sort through and filter much quicker than on a spatial layer. You could even dump the values into a database or open the resulting file in Excel or something.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos