Can't use the calculate tool in Arc GIS Pro when using a joined table

Jump to solution
10-24-2022 05:14 AM
Labels (2)
AndrewReynoldsDevon
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm using Arc GIS Pro 2.8 & am using model builder to create 2 tables. One has reference data (decimal values) that I want to refer to in the other table when carrying calculations using the calculate tool.

I found this article Bug: Unable to calculate fields when tables or feature classes are joined (esri.com) which I've tried & still get the error message attached. Any ideas? 

The tables are joined on the object ID field & when opening the calculate tool I can see all of the fields from both tables.

I have also tried appending/merging the 2 tables to achieve the same outcome of having all of the fields available to then carry out calculations however when I append I can schema errors. Merging creates 6 records instead of just 3. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to do a field calculation in the table that you joined to or the one you are using for the join?

The former supports the field calculations, the latter cannot unless you reverse the join.  A period in the field name suggests you might have duplicate names differentiated by table names.

There are two join tools

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

check which one suits your needs

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to do a field calculation in the table that you joined to or the one you are using for the join?

The former supports the field calculations, the latter cannot unless you reverse the join.  A period in the field name suggests you might have duplicate names differentiated by table names.

There are two join tools

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

check which one suits your needs

... sort of retired...
AndrewReynoldsDevon
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply - I tried the join the other way & the calculation is now working ok! 

Andy