Select to view content in your preferred language

Opening a Map Package File (mpkx)

Monday
lucas23
New Contributor II

I am unable to open a Map Package (mpkx) in Pro. I have tried Project > Import Map as well as simply double clicking the file to open. Each time it produces an Untitled project but no data. The mpkx file is 12GB in size. The data is there, I assume, but nothing. Any ideas?

11 Replies
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

Hard to say without seeing the Map Package. Did you create it, or did it come from someone else? Maybe it actually is a blank map, but the data is in a database in the project? Were you expecting a map, or just the data?

0 Kudos
lucas23
New Contributor II

I created the map package as a backup. Now I need to access the data. I expected to have the map with all the data layers as well as the source files in a corresponding geodatabase. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

MMPK is just a zip file with all the project info inside.  You can make a copy of it, then rename to *.zip.  Then, if the data is stored in there, you can copy the mobile geodatabases directly to recover the data.

R_

0 Kudos
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

This was my initial thought as well, but, at least in my case, the zip file wasn't valid and windows couldn't extract it, so ESRI likely moved away from this for the new map packages?

0 Kudos
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

Did you try Right clicking it in the Catalog -> "Add and Open"? I just did a quick test of my map and it seemed to have worked with the default settings. Have you changed Pro versions/what version are you currently on?

0 Kudos
lucas23
New Contributor II

This doesn’t work for me as well. I am using the latest version of Pro. A map package is supposed to consolidate all data layers in a given map and then reproduce the data/map upon opening, is it not? I’ve sent data to colleagues in this way before so it’s easy to access and use. 

0 Kudos
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

Yes, that's been my experience as well. Do you know if you originally checked the "Include Enterprise and UNC Path Data" option. If not, maybe you changed a drive path name or something so it can't find the data? Although, even in that situation I would expect the map to open but with broken paths.

0 Kudos
lucas23
New Contributor II

I can’t recall if that was checked or not. All project data had been stored and used on an external SSD which became corrupted. I thought by using a backup map package I created would allow me to restore the data and the map. 

0 Kudos
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

Have you tried using the "Extract Package" tool? For me, the tool was being a little weird and I had to manually type in the package location, but otherwise it should extract everything so you can access the data and maps.

0 Kudos