Select to view content in your preferred language

Converting SVG, Markers, or Dashed Line fills to Vector Tiles Issues

Monday
Labels (1)
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create an alternating hashed line pattern for a polygon fill in a vector tile output as seen in the below image in the waterbody. I initially tried hash lines, but they turn out completely blank when converting to vector tiles, so I switched to a marker fill as seen below.

Matthew_Muehlhauser_0-1724679301107.png

This looks like what I want, but when it's converted to vector tiles, it loses the alternating rows and instead is just columns. Ok, what if instead of doing a single marker, I use an SVG? I created an SVG to replicate this look and loaded it into pro. The below is an example where I've coloured the three different svg parts to differentiate / help with spacing. I've also included this SVG and lyr file, if interested in playing with the settings.

Matthew_Muehlhauser_1-1724679635303.png

This looks fine, but when it's converted to vector tiles, it loses two out of the three parts and basically becomes columns again. From this, I figured, that when converting to vector tiles, it seems like it doesn't use the "respect frame" option because if I turn that off, then it ends up looking the same. Ok, what if I combine the three paths into one in the svg? Same issue, it somehow drops the other two paths.

So, I'm not sure why this is so complicated. I understand that Vector Tiles don't support that much, BUT that shouldn't really be an issue since the fills are converted into PNG images which are used to create the fills. So, even with it's limitations, why can't Pro create a PNG from the hash-line, marker, SVG fill that looks near exactly the same? Or, is there something I'm missing? Maybe there's another setting or something that I can try? At this point it would almost be better for me to just download and edit the PNG and re-upload, but I need something that can be repeated / automated during updates, so that wouldn't be ideal.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Matthew_Muehlhauser
New Contributor III

Odd, it seems to be working now. Here's an example using the SVG. I had left "Respect Frame" checked but had unchecked the "Scale proportionally" option, so maybe that's it? I used the SVG where the paths had been unioned together, but that may not be required. I actually think it could have been the scale proportionally because when I looked at the sprite, the alternate rows were there, but just the ends were barely visible, so you couldn't see them. I made them longer to compensate without the scaling option, and realized it was working. That said ... it would still be really nice if it was consistent and what showed in the map is what showed in the online version since it creates a PNG in pro.

Matthew_Muehlhauser_0-1724684131133.png

0 Kudos