Select to view content in your preferred language

Numbered List Formatting

Jump to solution
03-22-2024 03:07 PM
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'd like to add some notes to a Layout I'm creating as a Number List, just like you would see in MS Word. In other words, the text need to line up on a separate indent than the numbers, like below

TimothyFratta_0-1711145096778.png

Is there a way to do this? I read a post about paragraph indent:

TimothyFratta_1-1711145152448.png

But the spacing between the number and the text that immediately follows DOES NOT align with the indent of the rest of the text.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Tim

PS - ArcGIS Pro 3.2.3 running on PC

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III
  • Create a standalone table--> add it to the Map

BarryNorthey_0-1711296517799.png

• Insert it as a Table Frame into a Layout.
  • In the Contents pane --> select only BarryNorthey_8-1711298256979.png
    • Right click on it click --> Properties.
  • Open the Properties of the Table Frame
  • Click BarryNorthey_6-1711297894376.png
  • The Element pane will set focus to the target field (Description) only.
  • Turn off Auto width --> Check on Enable word wrapping

The rest is formatting the Table Frame display to how you like it.

BarryNorthey_9-1711298964968.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

At this point, your table has been added to a specific Map (View) as a Standalone Table. You now want to Insert that table into a Layout (View) as a Table Frame. This is a Map Surround so the Layout needs to know which Map holds the table of interest. In the Layout:

• Enter the Map Frame into the Layout that holds the Map with the table.  
  • Insert a Table Frame and size and position as desired.  The Element pane should now be focused on the Table Frame in the Layout's Contents pane.  BarryNorthey_0-1720116214767.png
  • In the Element pane, designate the sources of the Map Frame and Table you want to use:
    BarryNorthey_5-1720116535183.png
  • Click Show propertiesBarryNorthey_2-1720116259756.png at the bottom of the Elements pane. This will highlight all field name in the Layout's Contents pane and showBarryNorthey_3-1720116259757.png at the top of the Elements pane. Since all fields are selected, whatever you do will apply to all fields if allowed. At this point you can apply some settings to all fields and then refine them for each field by selecting just the target field in the Layout's Contents pane and adjust in the Elements pane.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BarryNorthey
  • Create a standalone table--> add it to the Map

BarryNorthey_0-1711296517799.png

• Insert it as a Table Frame into a Layout.
  • In the Contents pane --> select only BarryNorthey_8-1711298256979.png
    • Right click on it click --> Properties.
  • Open the Properties of the Table Frame
  • Click BarryNorthey_6-1711297894376.png
  • The Element pane will set focus to the target field (Description) only.
  • Turn off Auto width --> Check on Enable word wrapping

The rest is formatting the Table Frame display to how you like it.

BarryNorthey_9-1711298964968.png

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry, but I am coming back to this excellent solution.

I was trying it today and cannot enable word wrapping, for some reason it's greyed out

TimothyFratta_0-1719850325096.png

Do you have any insights as to why?

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Never mind, I simply needed to uncheck "Auto Width" 🙄

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

OK, so now I find myself with a table where all columns are the same width - any advice on how to adjust each column to the width I want?

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

Watch the top of the Element pane. When you first start it signals [multiple fields] and deals with them collectively.

BarryNorthey_0-1720024459862.png

At this point you can set focus to a specific field in the Contents pane such as Description below and adjust its specific settings. The Element pane will show the field name Description at the top, not multiple fields and you adjust its width using the increment widget.

BarryNorthey_4-1720025006149.png

BarryNorthey_7-1720025297148.png

The table frame itself must be big enough to hold the table or you will get the warning:

BarryNorthey_8-1720025394578.png

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Thank you Barry,

Your explanation makes most sense, alas my table (imported from Excel) does not break down the various fields:

TimothyFratta_0-1720109476274.png

As you can see, the table DOES have a field column called "N." and another one called "Description" but in the contents pane I only have "Notes_ExcelToTable" . . .

How do I insert a standalone table that has each field specifically called out?

Thanks again for your patience!

Tim

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

At this point, your table has been added to a specific Map (View) as a Standalone Table. You now want to Insert that table into a Layout (View) as a Table Frame. This is a Map Surround so the Layout needs to know which Map holds the table of interest. In the Layout:

• Enter the Map Frame into the Layout that holds the Map with the table.  
  • Insert a Table Frame and size and position as desired.  The Element pane should now be focused on the Table Frame in the Layout's Contents pane.  BarryNorthey_0-1720116214767.png
  • In the Element pane, designate the sources of the Map Frame and Table you want to use:
    BarryNorthey_5-1720116535183.png
  • Click Show propertiesBarryNorthey_2-1720116259756.png at the bottom of the Elements pane. This will highlight all field name in the Layout's Contents pane and showBarryNorthey_3-1720116259757.png at the top of the Elements pane. Since all fields are selected, whatever you do will apply to all fields if allowed. At this point you can apply some settings to all fields and then refine them for each field by selecting just the target field in the Layout's Contents pane and adjust in the Elements pane.

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Barry,

I don't know how to thank you enough, I have been struggling with this for months!

All the best to you,

Tim

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Excellent explanation, thank you very much Barry!

0 Kudos