.NET 4.7 Upgrade breaks ArcGIS Pro

06-07-2017 01:43 PM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone have problems when they upgrade (or their company installs for them) .NET 4.7 (upgraded from 4.6.1)?  ArcGIS Pro 1.4 suddenly won't open.  When I downgrade to the previous version of .NET ArcGIS Pro works just fine.  I think this might be a bug.  I've also had some colleagues with issues opening the latest version of ArcGIS Earth (upgraded from previous versions) that was also fixed by downgrading .NET from 4.7 to 4.6.1.  Anyone else having this problem?

13 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jay Gregory‌ We've continued to look into this and given the call stack you submitted, along with another the team has analyzed, it may be related to:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/499420/the-type-initializer-for-ms-win32... 

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/55303/visual-studio-may-terminate-unexpe... 

Do you have a digitizer, or is the machine pen-enabled?  It looks like this may need to be addressed in a Windows update...

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Kory Kramer!  I have a Dell Latitude E7440 (as do many of my colleagues), which is touch screen enabled (I imagine means it's also pen enabled).  I'll let our IT group know about this issue if they don't already and wait around for a fix.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sounds good jay.gregory‌  Just to cover all bases, I set up a Windows 7 SP1 machine with .NET 4.6.1, installed Pro 1.4 and everything opened fine.  I then installed .NET 4.7 and everything is fine.  Then I installed the latest build of Pro 2.0.

Everything is looking good.  Seems like it has to do with the touch screen issue noted above.

0 Kudos
VeelashiniSubramaniam
New Contributor

Hi.. I had a case where ArcGIS Pro crashes with serious application error upon launch. It was a fresh install of version 2.0 on new laptop. Clean uninstall and downgraded to ver 1.4 - issue persist. User does not have the Pen drivers on his machine. Hence, uninstalling .NET 4.7 and install 4.6 seems to rectify the issue. ArcPro launches without any issue.