Need a way to start/stop ArcGIS Services in Pro

07-30-2018 06:42 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

In ArcGIS Desktop (ArcCatalog), I was able to run services from the now deprecated Server Admin toolkit.  One of the things I used it for was to quickly stop all services, run appropriate tasks and then restart all services.  For the most part this process worked really well.  I am attempting to migrate to Pro and so I thought I would try my weekly update process using Pro.  I run into several kinks, most of which I was able to resolve (Pro points to items a little bit differently).  But the task of dealing with the services is not working.  It asks for a server name just as it does in ArcCatalog.  I imported the task directly but I get an error everytime.  My server name is simply gis-server with port 6080.  I get a cryptic error message about a syntax error and the general context help that tells you what to enter.  I have no idea what variation of a server name I need to use.  I know that Pro right now doesn't play well with ArcGIS Services but surely there is a workaround for this?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (1)
6 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Nope. No workaround. ArcGIS Pro Publish Services To ArcGIS Server. But I am curious about this admin tool kit, where is it downloaded from? Is it this? https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340?  There might be some portability, but doubt it. ESRI went to great lengths to make sure you couldn't administratively interact with server in the latest python api. On another note, you mention you're hitting things on 6080. You will, in the future, encounter great difficulty in keeping a server off https/ssl especially when more ESRi enterprise products require it. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yes, you are talking about the right toolkit.  I'm not horribly well suited when it comes to secure services.  I've had some experience but not much.  I'll have to ask my IT Manager to assist in those settings.  I've seen your other link too, I really don't understand why Esri is so keen on forcing everyone to move to Portal or AGOL.  It just doesn't make sense.  Not everything we do with services needs to be web based (or cloud based for that matter).  I guess it just frustrates me when they want to force you to use their product a certain way when they don't know everyone's processes. Sometimes I think Esri brainwashes their employees too.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would you be willing to modify your workflow if your processes can be modified so services do not need to be stopped?  If you need to update the data supporting your AGS services, can you try a truncate and append of the data?  If you have geocode services that need the data updated thru an associated address locator, you would need to stop your services so that would be a showstopper for not needing to stop a service.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've tried modifying my workflow to prevent this need but haven't had much luck in the process.  Its been a while since I tried, I think it has something to do with some settings in SQL Server.  What I am doing is updating layers from the county (parcels, addresses, centerlines).  I discovered that the fastest and easiest way to avoid any locks was to simply stop services run the updates and then restart them.  Running the scripts has been the only reasonable way to get this accomplished.  Personally, I think Esri should just have a built in tool that allows you to do this and I wouldn't have this constant problem but I know there is a way to prevent these locks from happening, just haven't been able to figure it all out.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I deal with that often. The quickest way, really, is to login to the server and stop the ArcGIS Server Service. 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Guess that would work too.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos