ModelBuilder resets tools to 'ready-to-run' state

12-27-2021 07:27 AM
ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

Hello!

When working with ModelBuilder, tools that I have already run and are in the 'has-been-run' state are very often reset to 'ready-to-run' when I add data to the model or make other changes to the workflow that are not upstream of the change and thus should not have any affect on the reset model elements. It really turns models into a mess because rather than re-running every time a tool resets, I end up adding the data from the previously run tool into the model so I'm not constantly re-running my workflows when this resetting happens. Any help in remedying this would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Chris

Tags (1)
30 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From Validate a model—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Ready to run
A process is ready to run when the tool has all required parameters filled in. All model elements in the process have color. If you validate a model and a process changes to not ready to run (elements are gray), it means that one or more tool parameters or input variables are invalid.

Perhaps during the additions you are making to the model, something downstream is deemed invalid.

The help topic also suggests that validation need only be done when you are ready to run the model and not at each step of the building process

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, but unfortunately this doesn't solve my issue. I have experienced this behavior with ModelBuilder throughout all the Pro releases over several years, but never with Desktop. I've been using ModelBuilder extensively for a long time, so hopefully I know what I'm doing 🙂 This issue seems like a persistent bug. Maybe someone else can solve the mystery. Thanks for the response. 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest that you open a case with Tech Support since they have the capabilities to see if they can replicate your workflow with your combination of tools and compare  differences between Desktop and Pro as the model is built stepwise..  It may be something that Pro "thinks" needs to be fixed (when it doesn't) making your previous steps gray.  Graying out of ovals can lead to similar changes in hair color if the root cause isn't addressed.  😉 

... sort of retired...
BrentBrock
New Contributor III

Were you able to get any answers from tech support on this?  I've been battling this issue since transitioning to ArcGIS Pro 3 years ago.  It seems the 'has-been-run' state is being cleared for processes for no apparent reason and in seemingly random fashion.  This can add hours of unnecessary reprocessing.  Just to be clear, the process states are being changed from 'Has-been-run' to 'Ready-to-run' so it isn't a matter of Pro thinking something needs fixed as it is perfectly happy and more willing to re-run the process as it is than it should be.

My work arounds have been to 1) turn off intermediate data for outputs which forces me to manually manage temporary outputs and 2) do as the OP does and add data from previous outputs which breaks the model chain.

I've been using modelbuilder since the first release of ArcGIS and didn't have this problem before switching to Pro, so it does seem to be a new bug.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about this.

ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

ESRI tech support made the following suggestion, which I haven't been able to implement as I'm waiting on a license server upgrade. 

Issue:

• Elements' input fields intermittently reset within ModelBuilder in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2.

Next Steps:

BrentBrock
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update!  Unfortunately, I'm already on ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3 and still having the issue.  Hopefully you will have better luck.

ChrisD
by
New Contributor III

well, crud

ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brent, 
Please can you share your model or a snapshot of it?
Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

same here with v 3.0.2 aof ArcGIS Pro ... and it is terribly annoying since you either have to wach your model rerunning already existing steps with valid outputs or break the model flow by inserting outputdata from TOC or Catalog ... none of these approaches can be assumed as intentional --- since we are talking about data-flow-graph-based analysis !!!

0 Kudos