Select to view content in your preferred language

Measuring length of property facing the street

Jump to solution
06-12-2023 08:44 AM
JG_Powhatan
New Contributor II

I have a large set of parcel polygons, and I am trying to measure the part of each parcel that faces the street. To start, I tried to convert the polygons to line features, using the Feature to Line tool. Each segment retained the attributes of the parent polygon. 

The challenge now is that when I run a Select by Location, and choosing the following:

Input features: Parcel Lines/Relationship: within a distance/Selecting Features: centerline/ Search distance: 20 US Survey Feet

----my selection captures not just the parcel lines that are parallel to the street centerline, but also the segments that are next to another parcel line that does not face the street. I could not find another set of rules that could refine the selection further to filter just the segments whose length facing the centerline is >0 feet. Is this even do-able? I'd think that would be a common question, but so far, I haven't seen it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

difficult situation

Split Line At Vertices (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

would take the polyline outline of the buildings and split them into segments, this would capture those parallel to the street as well as those that are normal to it.... unfortunately

Feature To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

with the centroid/center of the segments would yield a point and a select by location would only target the center point on the segment of the polyline of the polygon, that is within the target distance....

join the points back to the segments and get the length or calculate the length of the segments so it already appears in the attribute table when it is converted to the central point

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

difficult situation

Split Line At Vertices (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

would take the polyline outline of the buildings and split them into segments, this would capture those parallel to the street as well as those that are normal to it.... unfortunately

Feature To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

with the centroid/center of the segments would yield a point and a select by location would only target the center point on the segment of the polyline of the polygon, that is within the target distance....

join the points back to the segments and get the length or calculate the length of the segments so it already appears in the attribute table when it is converted to the central point

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JG_Powhatan
New Contributor II

It's a large number of steps, but the logic makes sense to me in the 'reverse selecting' aspect of it. That should work for me. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
LuisLaredo
New Contributor II

What if... (thinking out loud)... you used a selection of the original polygon records for the street/road parcel, to get a Selection of those property line segments you have which are completely contained by the street/road parcel?  Then a Calculate Geometry of the length of the resulting lines?
(Hope that makes sense).

. Luis

0 Kudos