Map Layout Cordinate System

Jump to solution
07-10-2021 11:09 AM
FyneAde-Amadi
New Contributor II

Please can anyone help me on how to insert projection on a map layout in ArcGIS Pro. I could only insert other map elements but no projection.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you looking to add the map element of Spatial Reference to your layout? (Insert tab > Dynamic Text > Map FrameSpatial Reference)?

JayantaPoddar_0-1625979442021.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you can't insert a projection into a layout only a map.  That map will have its own projection

... sort of retired...
FyneAde-Amadi
New Contributor II

Yes you can insert into a map layout when creating it along with other map elements like north arrow, scale etc. I'm new to ArcGIS Pro so not seeing it among other elements.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The projection is from the inserted map.  If you want to convey the information on the layout, add a text element specifying what it is.

... sort of retired...
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! 

Once you've added a map to a layout using a map frame, you can change its projection.

AubriKinghorn_0-1625955645525.png

To do this, right-click the Map in the Contents Pane and choose properties 

AubriKinghorn_1-1625955703953.png

Then adjust the coordinate system on the Map Properties window that appears. It is important to know that if you change the map coordinate system in the layout, it is also changed in the map view and vice versa. Map frames on layouts just reflect the map. 

AubriKinghorn_2-1625955820739.png

Cheers,
Aubri
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you looking to add the map element of Spatial Reference to your layout? (Insert tab > Dynamic Text > Map FrameSpatial Reference)?

JayantaPoddar_0-1625979442021.png

Think Location
FyneAde-Amadi
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot. Figured it out.

0 Kudos