Map is not loading?

08-29-2019 05:02 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

(this is Pro v2.4.1)

Yesterday afternoon, I just opened an ArcGIS Pro project and saw this...

...for 15 minutes.

I could change Portals, look through the Catalog, change Portals - but the Map never loaded.  I had to open Task Manager and kill the app.  ArcGISCleanup was running too.

I created a new project and encountered the same thing.

It doesn't crash, it just never loads a map.

Has anyone else seen this behavior - or have a solution?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
19 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This isn't normal or expected (obivously!).  If everything is default, it will try to load an online basemap, so I suppose it could get hung up there, but again, not like you're describing.  Since you mentioned changing portals, how many portals do you have set up and are they a mix of ArcGIS Online and Enterprise?  Have you checked all of them to make sure they're accessible?

Did you shut the machine down, restart and get the same behavior?

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Kory Kramer‌ - thanks for responding...

Kory Kramer wrote:

This isn't normal or expected (obivously!).  If everything is default, it will try to load an online basemap, so I suppose it could get hung up there, but again, not like you're describing.

Yes.  Default Options. 

Kory Kramer wrote:

Since you mentioned changing portals, how many portals do you have set up and are they a mix of ArcGIS Online and Enterprise?  Have you checked all of them to make sure they're accessible?

I had one Portal, two different ArcGIS Online Organizations and the standard www.arcgis.com listed as Portals.  Logged into each and all were available.  I later deleted all but the ArcGIS Online Organization that Pro gets its licensing from...

Kory Kramer wrote:

Did you shut the machine down, restart and get the same behavior?

Yes.  I did.  I even removed the program and reinstalled it.  No change.

I changed the default basemap in my ArcGIS Online Organization.  I saw that change in the Contents pane after closing Pro, re-opening it and creating a new project.  Still no map showing.

I just recalled that yesterday, the IT people remotely installed a Windows 10 update - to version 1809.

--Adam

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Same behavior if you set the basemap to None?

What if you completely disconnect from the network - still same problem?

Depending on the above, you may need to look at antivirus and whether anything is blocking ArcGIS Pro...  these types of issues are very difficult to troubleshoot through the forum.  Give these a try and circle back, but it might be more worth your time to work with technical support on something like this.

Cheers

AdamRepsher

Thank you Kory Kramer‌,

I switched the basemap option to None (along with the last suggestion of clearing cache) with no change in results.

Off Network?  Same story.

I think you are right about going to technical support.

--Adam

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm curious to see if: Set up SDE intercept (How To: Diagnose ArcSDE connection and performance issues using SDEINTERCEPT ), open your project then do nothing. Look in the directory where the intercepts are going. Are new intercepts files being created/updated while you sit there and do nothing? I have something similar, specifically, in project where I have many maps that were NOT OPEN when the project was last saved, AND, the maps point to a variety of data sources (AGOL, Portal, Server, SDE, FGDB), AND, I attempt to open one (just 1 [ONE]) of the maps, I'm in the same boat you are:Pro locks up and the only solution is to kill it with task manager. 

Same as above, get your project open, DO NOTHING....let the CPU fans slow down....open another Pro Project. In first Pro Project, open catalog pane, right click on map in question, copy....second pro project, catalog pane, right click on maps...paste. 

Are you able to open the map in this second project? 

We should probably ask...are you trying to open an existing map, or are you getting this on Insert -> New Map? 

If so, do you have this set: 

AdamRepsher

Hello Thomas Colson‌,

I do have the Basemap option set to none as part of my previous troubleshooting efforts.

I have tried opening an existing project, opening a new project with a map and opening a new project without a map and then adding a map.  In every situation, the map pane just keeps showing its status as Loading.

I have done a lot of troubleshooting of Esri product and have never encountered SDEINTERCEPT.  The link you gave me does describe a procedure, but it fails to tell me where I can find SDEINTERCEPT or how to run/enable it.  I did find this link: How To: Set up an SDEINTERCEPT log file on a client machine for ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server and am trying it now....

The only way that I can copy a Map (or paste) is to Close the existing map by right-clicking the map's tab and selecting Close.  With no Maps attempting to load, I can paste the copy of another map from another project into the Catalog's Maps folder.  I then open that copy and get the same results.  Interestingly - if I again right-click the map tab and select Close, I can then close Pro without killing in Task Manager. ***But it takes a good minute to close***

SDEINTERCEPT shows no report in its logfile when I open a new project with a map.  Now, when I do the copy process, it creates log entries.  I'm not sure how to interpret the logs.

Calling technical support today.

--Adam

0 Kudos
RheannaDeva
New Contributor

The map never loading happens to me sometimes too,  but fixes itself when I clear the cache.

Before opening a project, in Options>Display, tick clear cache.

AdamRepsher

Hi Rheanna Deva‌,

I just tried this with no luck.  Thank you for the idea though!

--Adam

0 Kudos
deleted-user-ETabldQ2WIq7
New Contributor II

Hi Adam Repsher

I am running into the same issue with ArcGIS Pro as you have described.  Opening an existing or creating a new project results in the never ending Loading Map.... message.  I too performed the same troubleshooting steps outlined with the same results.  I would be curious to learn if you had any success through tech support.  

Dave

0 Kudos