Looking for a US Route shield for labels

Jump to solution
06-14-2017 05:38 AM
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

I'm a long time Desktop user and I'm trying to get up to speed with ArcGIS Pro.  When making maps with Interstate, US routes, and State routes I have always used a "shield" for my labels.  This was pretty easy in Desktop, but I am struggling to find anything other than an Interstate Shield in ArcGIS Pro.  Does anyone know how to get a US route shield? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like the Character Marker symbol from ArcMap is not called the same in Pro, but its there.  From the symbology window:

• Select Layer property
  • Select "Font" from the appearance section
  • From the Font window you can access the MUTCD font that contains the shield

Leon

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Sean,

There doesn't appear to be a really straight answer.

Take a look at this thread:

ArcGIS Pro--custom highway shield symbol 

Also, consider voting up these ideas in ArcGIS Ideas:

Highway Shields in Legends 

state highway shields 

(they're more concerned with state shields, but either way would be useful)

Take a look at this thread for a download link to additional highway shields (primarily state ones):

https://community.esri.com/message/636192-ddv-highway-shield-fonts 

LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like the Character Marker symbol from ArcMap is not called the same in Pro, but its there.  From the symbology window:

• Select Layer property
  • Select "Font" from the appearance section
  • From the Font window you can access the MUTCD font that contains the shield

Leon

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Leon,

Thanks for that. I'm looking for a way to include text/highway number inside the shield in Pro? This was something you could do pretty easily in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
GregoryLehner
Esri Contributor

Hi Jared Pilbeam‌,

If you have all your roads in one feature layer, and all you need is one of the default designs, one way to do this is to go to the Feature Layer's Labeling tab > enable labeling (click the icon on the far left), and then in the Text Symbol section of the toolbar, click the Symbol Style drop-down. There are a variety of different highway shield styles to choose from.

(Hint: If the symbols are all rotated when you first put them down, change the Label Placement setting to "Shield" as well.)

Reference: Text symbols—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sean - all preformatted US Interstate, US Highway, State Highway, et. al. from DDV can be downloaded here.

JohnWright
New Contributor II

Robert,

Thank you for adding the link to these.  The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the state highway shields loaded as choices in Pro.  Under Feature Layer>Labeling>Text Symbol>  pull down the Text Symbol Style arrow and I'm hoping to see the downloaded state highways shields among the default loaded shields:

Labeling - Text Symbol

Labeling - Text Symbol 2

I'm trying to add the Pennsylvania state highway shields like these.

Labeling - Text Symbol 3

Maybe I'm not saving the TrueType file in the right place?  I'm saving it to C:/Windows/Fonts.

It would be great to have the 50 state shields available like these:

Labeling - Text Symbol 4

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi John - apologies for the delayed response - teaching GIS classes.  So I found an old thread that laid out the workflow that I used to see the DDV highway shields in AGP.  You may find it here.

0 Kudos
JohnWright
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert.  Let me give it a look over and hopefully I'll see these.  Thanks again, John

DruSexton1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS 2.8, I am not seeing the default National Highway marker for the US in the ArcGIS 2D style.

In fact I am not even seeing it in the style documentation online. Was this removed, why?

TIA

0 Kudos