Limit attribute table in Map View to only those features matching the Page Query of a Map Series

03-29-2024 05:21 AM
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

In ArcMap, I could use Data Driven Pages to step through features in a layer, and the map would automatically pan/zoom to each feature. I had two layers set up (in addition to my index layer) with page queries--one that matched, and one that didn't match. I could symbolize these two layers differently and create a kind of spotlight effect, where the page-queried feature was brighter and bolder, and the non-page-queried features were faded. In addition to this, the attribute table of the "matched" page queried layer only contained attributes for the matched feature. This made reviewing polygons, feature by feature, a breeze. Now, with Map Series in ArcGIS Pro, the attribute table is not limited to the matched page query features, and the map does not automatically pan/zoom. (I know it does in the Layout View, but I need the ability to zoom in/out and modify features without having to activate the frame and cycling through a bunch of clicks/tools).

So, there's a lot to unpack here, but my main question is: Is there a way to limit the attribute table in a Map View to only those features that match the page query?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @MitchellDrennan - apologies for the tardy response. Have been teaching classes in person the last two days.  So I tried a Spatial Join (gp tool) workflow where I joined each feature class with the GridIndex layer to create a new FC with both the input feature class and GridIndex attributes merged together.  Then you can "see" what features fall in grid index A1, A2 and so on.  Then I went to the Layer Properties of each feature class to apply the Page Query.  Not as clean or as easy as ArcMap for some reason.  Not sure why.

0 Kudos
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

That's quite alright!

So the process you describe would have to be repeated each time the target feature class was edited in order to ensure you are working with the latest data, right?

My setup is this: I have a Layout with two Map Frames. One of those Map Frames is my main Map Frame (we'll call this Map Frame A), and the other serves as a smaller, inset, "zoom" map. I'll call this Map Frame B. Bot Map Frames reference the same source data.

I set up the Map Series on Map Frame A, and use a Page Query on a Feature Layer in Map Frame B so that only the matching feature is displayed.

As I step through the Map Series, the extent of Map Frame A automatically centers on the matching feature. However, the extent of Map Frame B does not automatically center on the matching feature. In ArcMap, I could simply right click on the Feature Layer in Map Frame B and "zoom to layer" to get the extent to center on the matching feature. In ArcGIS Pro, however, the same process results in zooming out to the extent of the entire feature layer.

Is there a different way I should attempt to re-create my old ArcMap workflow?

Or is there any way to have a Map Series control two Map Frames in a Layout?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So question for you - you're recreating the ArcMap workflow in ArcGIS Pro vs. importing the *.mxd into a new ArcGIS Pro project file?  Correct?  I wonder if you import the working *.mxd into ArcGIS Pro, will the new *.aprx work the way it did in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

Good question. However, I did import the .mxd into ArcGIS Pro. I did not build this Project in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

I also re-created a simple project in ArcGIS Pro from scratch, mimicking my setup in ArcMap, thinking that maybe there was an issue with the .mxd import, but the Page Query behaved the exact same way--that is, the attribute table and layer extent is not limited to only the matching features. It seems like this is just the way the Map Series function works unfortunately. I'm open to suggestions though!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Well I believe I found the solution to this conundrum.  It's BUG-000128342 - "The attribute table data is not filtered to reflect visible features after defining a page query for a map series in ArcGIS Pro."  The explanation is "This is by design. Unlike ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro can support many maps and layouts. Multiple maps and layouts can also be shown at the same time. Because of this, the attribute table is not automatically limited to match the map series. If data based on the page query is needed to be shown, use a table frame on the layout."

So the closest one can get to with regard to ArcMap functionality is to spatially join the FC to the GridIndex, do field calculations of A1, A2, A3 and so on.  Then use the Page Query to the PageName field to partially limit the attributes but not 100% like ArcMap did.  Not an ideal solution by any means.  Sorry...

0 Kudos
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

Robert, thanks again for digging into this. There are a couple of ways I feel Map Series could be more useful in ArcGIS Pro.

-Include the ability to set up and use Map Series in a Map (as of now I think it can only be done in a Layout)

-If the attribute table is not limited to match the Map Series by design, perhaps you could filter the attribute table by Map Series (similar to how you can filter the table by Map Extent currently)

Thank you.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I agree with you on how the Map Series workflow could be improved.  I don't believe there is an ArcGIS Idea for this presently in the Esri Community for ArcGIS Pro.  I would recommend creating such an idea as it will get visibility with the ArcGIS Pro development team.  As I work in the Training Services group, I have zero sway in any development decisions as you might suspect.

0 Kudos