Select to view content in your preferred language

Legend BUG - Items clearly visible in the map are not showing at ALL in the legend when "Only show features visible in the map extent" is checked. HELP!

08-22-2018 03:10 PM
Shauna-RaeBrown
Frequent Contributor

Legend BUG - Items clearly visible in the map are not showing at ALL in the legend when "Only show features visible in the map extent" is checked.  HELP!  I've tried adding the layers again, which are line features that are part of the Local Government Information Model's SewerStormwater network.  If I leave the box unchecked, I get all of the feature types.  I'm beyond frustrated, and I've spent almost 6-hours on this map layout.  So even though I don't want my legend cluttered up with unneeded legend items, it looks like my ONLY alternative is to have a cluttered legend.

15 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anthony, 

The join and Map Series variables could be important, but it is difficult to confirm without actually working with the specific data. Technical support should be able to help. In the meantime, you might be able to work around this issue by using Page query—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop. You may have to create a new field to match with the index layer, but you will avoid the spatial issue you are running into.

Hope this helps,

Tom  

0 Kudos
MarshaBarnes
New Contributor

I am having this same issue.  Items clearly visible in the map are not showing in the legend when "Only show features visible in the map extent" is checked.  I couldn't figure out the issue.  As I was trying to find a solution or reason, Arc Pro crashed.  After the crash we ignored the backup recovery.  When the project loaded, we had to add the legend to the layout again.  This time it the missing features showed up in the legend.  Apparently all you have to do to fix it is convince Arc Pro to crash, haha.  

0 Kudos
KevinMayall
Frequent Contributor

I encountered this issue today in ArcGIS Pro.  When I deleted the Legend element and created a new one, the new Legend worked fine (showed all layers).

Kevin
0 Kudos
AllyBaker
New Contributor

I experienced this when I added layers from AGO but when I exported the online layer as a layer file and re-added it the map, the layer showed up in the legend

0 Kudos
E-SukiWilderGISS
New Contributor

I struggled with this same issue today and racked my brains for several hours in an attempt to find a solution. A coworker of mine finally looked at it and we discovered that the issue on my end had to do with the fact that my legend was pointing at features from a mobile geodatabase while I was working in a file geodatabase. Exported the features I wanted from the mobile geodatabase into my file geodatabase and they showed up in the legend just fine even after I checked "Only show features visible in the map extent." I have no idea why this works, but it does. If you check the option "show feature counts" and the ones obviously in your map extent show up as 0, then this might be a good indication this is your problem (especially if you are getting your data from a mobile geodatabase.)

0 Kudos
MelissaMiller
Occasional Contributor

My team recently started having this issue. Was there ever a bug logged with Esri about this or any solution found?

0 Kudos