Select to view content in your preferred language

Join Field Not Working

12-23-2020 01:28 PM
Labels (1)
LeviCecil
Frequent Contributor

I've been having this problem lately, where the join field tool won't work in Pro 2.6 or 2.7, or Python 3.7.9. I'll try to join on two fields that I know are identical, and it will say "WARNING 003237: Join had no matches." Is anyone else having this trouble? When I run the same script in Python 2.7, the fields join. This happens whether I'm trying to join a csv to a feature class, fc to fc, or a gdb table to fc. 

20 Replies
Kalgul
by
Emerging Contributor

I spoke with Colorado State University's Geospatial Centroid, and they instantly found the issue.   I was trying to Join a Text(12) field with a Double field, which are incompatible.  The issue instantly went away when I created a new Text(12) field and applied the contents of the old Double field into the values with the Calculate Field utility, using a simple Arcade script. 

Text($feature.ID, '000000000000')

ID was the name of the old Double Field to pull from, and there are 12 zeroes to match the 12-digit text string.  There was a hitch at first, because I had an active selection.  Once I cleared that, the calculation went without a hitch, validation instantly worked with the Join function, and now it's Joined.

'WARNING 003237: Join had no matches.' is a completely inadequate error code.  ArcGIS Pro should 100% state "Warning, you are attempting to join incompatible field types.  Please ensure you are joining identical or compatible fields."