Is it possible to transpose table frames from horizontal to vertical order?

Jump to solution
06-29-2021 02:03 PM
AlastairKeith-Lucas
New Contributor II

I have a table frame in my map series that displays statistics about each map extent. Since the table frame is updating dynamically I only have one cell associated with each field at any given time. The typical layout, where field names are listed horizontally in a row, is therefore very awkward in appearance and takes up much more horizontal space than is necessary. Is it possible to transpose the table frame such that field names are listed horizontally, with their associated cells to the right rather than underneath? I realize that I could convert to graphics and manually rearrange the cells, but having to do so for 20+ different maps in the series would be extremely tedious and time-consuming. This seems like such a basic feature for layout, so I'm convinced I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi!

You can't transpose a table like that without converting to graphics, but you can use table dynamic text instead. Table dynamic text will display records from an attribute or stand-alone table in your map and update dynamically. It even supports the map series row query like dynamic tables. Because it's just text, you can style it on multiple rows or any other way you'd like. You can even add static graphics behind it to give a table appearance. 

Learn more here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/add-dynamic-text.htm (scroll to the Table Dynamic Text section).

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi!

You can't transpose a table like that without converting to graphics, but you can use table dynamic text instead. Table dynamic text will display records from an attribute or stand-alone table in your map and update dynamically. It even supports the map series row query like dynamic tables. Because it's just text, you can style it on multiple rows or any other way you'd like. You can even add static graphics behind it to give a table appearance. 

Learn more here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/add-dynamic-text.htm (scroll to the Table Dynamic Text section).

Cheers,
Aubri
AlastairKeith-Lucas
New Contributor II

I had no idea that dynamic text could work in conjunction with a map series. This is perfect, thank you very much!

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@AubriKinghorn  I'm not seeing a way to get this to behave much like a table, it just inserts a cell. I have a table with 83 fields, and I'm trying to get a transposed attribute table (attribute list, really) into my map layout. Are you saying this isn't possible without individually programming 83 of these things, and then adding field titles to all of them?

AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

@wayfaringrob you wouldn't need to create 83 cells. The cool thing about the Value dynamic text is it can have a query applied. You can show one cell, or you can show all the attributes that are visible, or all that exist, or apply a specific SQL query. Value dynamic text doesn't support headings, you would need to add those manually, but you can show all the data at the same time in a single text element.

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Oh, good to know. When I go to add the text, though, this is what I see. There is only an option for one field it seems...do you know where the option to add them all would be? There's the option to create an Arcade expression but I'm not seeing any way to select all or even multiselect.

rburkebsrc_0-1664405234905.png

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

You would have to create an arcade expression so that you can decide how you want the values divided. Do you want some fields on one line and some on another? How many spaces between each value? You get complete control over that with Arcade instead of Pro guessing and getting it wrong. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@AubriKinghorn  No, I really just want each field's name or alias listed on the left and the field's value on the right, i.e., a transposed table frame, which is how I found this thread. I don't know why that isn't the default for a spatial map series when set to 'map series rows' - who wants a long table with just one row? I'm looking for something pretty simple and am not looking to format of each row individually. The table frame tool would be perfect for that if it supported transposition. It sounds like the workaround involving dynamic table text requires a lot of manual work, and I'm still not actually sure how you're saying I can get a transposed table out of it.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

That isn't supported right now. You can an idea for that in the future, or their might be an existing one right now. I don't think I said that you could get a transposed table, rather that you could use dynamic text to display the data any way you'd like. That seemed to work for the originator of this post which is why it was marked as a solution. You can format dynamic text it to look like a table by adding graphics and utilizing arcade expressions and text formatting techniques but you aren't going to get a quick transposed table with the existing functionality in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and earlier. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Ok, that's what I thought but I'm glad I asked. Thank you for your explanation. I did find an idea related to that. I think I'm going to see if a report will suit my needs for this in the meantime.

0 Kudos