Is it possible to populate the vertices of a line using arcade expressions if fields exists with the z value?

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 12:18 PM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to populate the vertices of a line feature class that represents wastewater mains and there exists two populated fields where one field has the invert elevation for one end of the line and another field with the invert elevation for the other end of the line. Is there a way to populate the z values for the ends of the line using arcade. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

OK, so you want an Attribute Rule. These can only be written in Arcade, that's why you can't choose Python.

Your formula would be
z_start = geodetic_height_start - invert_elevation_start

You have the invert_elevation from your feature and I assume you have the geodetic height as a DEM raster.

Sadly, Arcade doesn't work with rasters (yet?), so you can't do this as an Attribute Rule.

You can do it with a Python script / tool, but you would have to run that manually.

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry, but I can't really figure out what you're asking.

You have a line FC with two fields storing the "invert elevation" of the line's end points and you want to convert thtem to z values.

• Am I correct in assuming "invert elevation" means "distance below ground" and "z values" means "distance above mean sea level"?
  • Do you want the z values
    • as new fields?
    • to show up in a popup?
    • to be stored in the line geometry (turn the FC into a z-aware FC)?
  • Does it have to be Arcade (popup, attribute rule, etc) or can it also be done with Python?

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I am trying to use an arcade expression to populate the z values for each end of a line. When I try to set up an attribute rule to automatically populate these values. For some reason, whenever I try to create a rule to do this, it doesn't give me the option to switch from either python or arcade. It instead defaults to simply arcade.

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

OK, so you want an Attribute Rule. These can only be written in Arcade, that's why you can't choose Python.

Your formula would be
z_start = geodetic_height_start - invert_elevation_start

You have the invert_elevation from your feature and I assume you have the geodetic height as a DEM raster.

Sadly, Arcade doesn't work with rasters (yet?), so you can't do this as an Attribute Rule.

You can do it with a Python script / tool, but you would have to run that manually.

Have a great day!
Johannes