Is it possible to display related tables information (1-M relationships) on the layout while using data driven pages?

Jump to solution
09-05-2018 01:09 AM
khodorsabra
New Contributor II

I'm using data driven pages to generate a report for every point that I have (each point represents a store) and I have used Dynamic Text to display the tabular information of these points like store name and size... but I have some information in a table related to this feature by 1-M relationships like names of employees in each store and their ages.

So how can I display the related table information on the layout and make it dynamic so that when I change the page using the data-driven page the info will change also. does Production Mapping extension helps in this case and how?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Khodor, 

Unfortunately, dynamic text does not support table relates.  Currently, the only way to include dynamic related data in a map series is by writing code (Python).  I don't believe that Production Mapping has an out-of-the-box solution for this. This limitation is something that the Layout Team is aware of and hopefully, something that we can address in a future release. I recommend getting this onto the ideas sight - https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas - to gather traction.  

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Tom

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Khodor, 

Unfortunately, dynamic text does not support table relates.  Currently, the only way to include dynamic related data in a map series is by writing code (Python).  I don't believe that Production Mapping has an out-of-the-box solution for this. This limitation is something that the Layout Team is aware of and hopefully, something that we can address in a future release. I recommend getting this onto the ideas sight - https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas - to gather traction.  

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Tom

khodorsabra
New Contributor II

Thank you very much tom for the clarification, ill definitely move this to ArcGIS Ideas.

0 Kudos
WendySilva
New Contributor

Tom Bole‌ - Is there a place where we can find sample Python code that would get me started?

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Wendy, 

If you are working with Data Driven Pages (ArcMap) you would use arcpy.mapping you may want to start with 

Introduction to arcpy.mapping—ArcMap | Documentation and if you are working with Map Series (ArcGIS Pro) you may want to start with Introduction to arcpy.mp—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation - it important to understand that ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro use 2 different python modules.  

Samples can be found here - https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?sortField=modified&sortOrder=desc&id=398a345905c845e38229c15f... 

I just have a passing knowledge of these samples and don't know if any work with related data.  

Python is not in my area of expertise. You might want to review the comments, or post one yourself, in the Python Developer section of GeoNet Python .

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos