Integer field domains display Codes not the Description value?

Jump to solution
05-03-2022 06:55 AM
Labels (2)
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

This is an area where it does not appear like the ArcGIS Platform plays by the same rules.  For example, in Collector and Field Maps, the user is able to see a domain drop down list that displays the Description value.  This is true for Text or Integer domains. 

When it comes to ArcGIS Pro, fields with Integer domains display only the code while editing as well as in the attribute table. This behavior is different from a Text domain where the user only sees Description while editing as well as viewing the attribute table.

Am I missing something or is this by design?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Turns out this is not consistent between other features in the database. The common thread I can see is that the features where the domain does not properly display are on features that use a Subtype.  If a feature does not have a Subtype, it works just as you and @KenBuja noted in your screenshots.

I assume this is a bug and will contact ESRI Support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it's displaying some of the domains, it ought to be displaying all of them.

I would go into the Data Design → Fields view in Pro, or the Data → Fields page in your portal, to make sure that there is actually a domain in place.

jcarlson_0-1651586791430.png

jcarlson_1-1651586831833.png

If there is truly a domain there, just double-check whether the setting Show domain and subtype descriptions is checked or not in the Attribute Table.

jcarlson_2-1651586971930.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that in my project. I have integer fields that use a domain and I see the description, not the code when I edit them.

domain3.png

  

Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson and @KenBuja  this is not my experience. Here are some screenshots of what I see on 2.8.3.

MattHuser_1-1651587509752.png

MattHuser_0-1651587487136.png

MattHuser_2-1651587516321.png

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And you've confirmed that the domain actually exists in the Fields view?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Is that different from my first screenshot of the last post?  Also here is the domain to confirm the values

MattHuser_0-1651587730994.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh! Sorry about that, the screenshots showed as the same width in your post, and I saw it as a single image. Well, shoot! This is definitely an unusual issue, and seems like it could be a bug.

Well, does this happen on any layer with an integer field domain? Can you see if it's doing this with a hosted or published service layer, rather than an SDE connection? Does it do this with a local FDGB layer?

Basically, is this issue specific to your SDE (could be a database-specific issue), or is it happening to other layers, indicating something at the program level?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

Turns out this is not consistent between other features in the database. The common thread I can see is that the features where the domain does not properly display are on features that use a Subtype.  If a feature does not have a Subtype, it works just as you and @KenBuja noted in your screenshots.

I assume this is a bug and will contact ESRI Support.

0 Kudos
nadja_swiss_parks
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Matt-Huser I have the same issue. Did you contact esri support? is there already a solution?

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

There were a couple things that helped resolve the issue.

1)  Make sure that each subtype has the domain assigned to the field. There were some instances where we had a subtype that had default settings for the fields and were missing the association of a domain. With the field being an integer, only numbers were showing until we associated that field in that subtype with a domain

2) If you are publishing a service to ArcGIS Server and that feature uses subtypes, I've had to set the cartography on the subtype value as my unique values field association. If I did not do this, the descriptions would not display instead just the codes.

Hope this helps!