inserting compass rose in map layout using ArcGIS PRO 2.8

06-08-2021 06:08 PM
HampLankford
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGIS and ArcGIS PRO and am creating nautical charts pulling together map layers for a number of different sources.  In the layouts I am creating I need to add compass roses that show both true and magnetic north as well as angles of variation from these two.  I see from posts for ArcMAP that adding compass roses was an option there. (I believe that adding the rose was under MAGVAR.)

In ArcGIS PRO I see how to insert arrows in a map layout for both true north and magnetic north and how to put them together to create a declination diagram.  However, I need to add the full compass rose needed to determine directional bearings.

Please tell me how compass roses can be inserted in layouts without using ArcGIS Maritime which I don't have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hamp

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are a number of north arrows that are the full compass rose style. Or do you need something more detailed than the 4 cardinal directions?

jcarlson_0-1623202779859.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let's assume the built-in arrows aren't quite what you want. Just go ahead and pick one to start.

Open up the north arrow's properties in the Element panel.

jcarlson_0-1623203337633.png

If you click on the Symbol, you'll see it's really just a shape marker. If you change the shape to some other file, say an SVG of a really nice compass rose, it will show in your layout! And since it's still technically a "North Arrow" object, it will stay aligned to north if the map is rotated.

jcarlson_1-1623203532309.png

Unfortunately, Pro does not have the ability to save custom North Arrows, so you'll always be a few clicks away from easily inserting your own, but it's possible.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson, that's the best way to go about it. And Pro DOES have the ability to save custom north arrows. They are saved to a style so you can use again and again. Just right-click the custom north-arrow and choose Save as Style. 😊

Cheers,
Aubri
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good to know! I was just assuming from the Manage Style → New Item lacking a "North Arrow" option. Very cool!

jcarlson_0-1623256146983.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS