Inexact Buffers

Jump to solution
05-24-2023 10:56 AM
Labels (2)
m3
by
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using the buffer tool, on polygons, using 2.9.6, with the option to Exclude the input polygon from the buffer, with a dissolve by attribute, and nearly every buffer is inexact.  It's leaving slivers inside the polygon.  I tried setting a low tolerance, I tried geodesic and planar all same result.

Excuse my gaudy symbology.

How to I get this to work properly?  There are only 90 polygons and I'm most of the way through editing them but this seems like kind of a big deal if buffers are being drawn incorrectly.

m3_0-1684950950774.png

m3_1-1684950962940.png

m3_2-1684950972851.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
m3
by

Well it's fine today, I rebooted 😐

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I wonder if you do not have a geographic transformation applied?  Right-click on your Map name in the Contents pane, click Properties, followed by Transformation.  In the Transformation pane, is there a geographic transformation applied?
transformation.JPG

0 Kudos
m3
by

I do but removing it makes no difference.

I was also just testing in ArcMap without a transformation and get similar results, it seems to be related to the size of the buffer which in this case is 2 miles.  Bringing down to 200 feet works but then I have to do a series of buffers to merge to get my 2 mile result. It's a specific use case (cartographic overlay in map series) but nonetheless, not an expected result.  

Still it seems kind of a weird bug to have run up against after all these years.  

0 Kudos
m3
by

Workaround 1, build Multiple Ring Buffers one small and one as big as you need, the larger buffer respects the polygon you're starting with. Query out the smaller buffer and you have your result.

0 Kudos
MrRamonG
Occasional Contributor

Have you tried running Check / Repair Geometry geoprocessing tools before buffering?

Layer Slayer
0 Kudos
m3
by

Well it's fine today, I rebooted 😐