In ArcGIS Pro, can you change geocoding parameters like spelling sensitivity and min. match score?

06-28-2018 12:39 PM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

We have a classic county-level enterprise GIS set up: a central ArcGIS Server and many desktop and web clients. The central staff set up various AGS address locators against our county's address points and street centerline ranges. I then batch geocode various address lists against these locators.  In ArcMap/ArcCatalog, you have the option to change the geocoding "Matching Options" when geocoding a table of addresses, as shown below

Is there an equivalent in Pro? I searched for "spelling sensitivity" in the Pro help files, but it only led me to instructions on creating a locator or modifying a locator's settings.  I am not authorized to make many changes to our AGS, including locators. Even if I was, it's probably not a good idea to change our enterprise locator properties every time I need to change the spelling sensitivity or minimum match score for a specific address list. That's why it's nice to have these options as a client (ArcMap or ArcCatalog).

Can this be done in Pro?

15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Geocoding options properties—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

spelling sensitivity is discussed there

AZendel

Thanks for the response, Dan.  That is the exact help page that I landed on when I searched on the Pro help documents. Unless I'm misinterpreting it, that page explains how you adjust the settings on the locator. The locator that I use on our county's ArcGIS Server, which is good because it's pointed at our live address points, so recently added addresses will be found by the locator. But as I mentioned, I don't have the authorization to modify those settings on AGS.  When somebody sends me a table of addresses to geocode, I sometimes need high minimum match scores. Other times we can tolerate lower quality matches and I can lower the minimum score. In ArcMap and ArcCatalog, you can right-click a table and choose "Geocode Addresses".  You eventually get the option to set the scoring that is shown in my screenshot above.  I can't find a way to do that in Pro.  So it seems that I'm stuck with the settings that are on the locator served by ArcGIS Server.

I often set the minimum match scores very low. Then I sort the geocoding results by the Score column, descending.  Then I open the review/rematch dialog and attempt to find acceptable matches for the lower scoring addresses.  Eventually, I'll find the score where the matches are so bad that I conclude that we should reject all of the scores below it; it's no longer worth using the review/rematch dialog at that point. However, I can't ask our AGS admins to lower the match score that low.  That's why it's nice to have that option as an ArcMap/ArcCatalog/ArcPro client.

Hopefully that's clearer than mud......

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you lost me at … server... admins... Joe Borgione‌ any ideas for those working in restricted world and geocoding?  Feel free to share too.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hmmm.  Yep A Zendel‌ I see exactly what you mean. While the ability to modify match scores is available in ArcMap, no-can-do in ArcGIS Pro.  I'll send a ping out here to a couple of folks that may have an answer, but with the UC upon them, it may be a bit before we hear back...

In the interim, can you just create your own (local computer) set of locators with match scores turned down?  If you are heading to the UC, look up either of these two:

Shana Britt

Kory Kramer

That should just about do it....
AZendel

I wish I was going to San Diego!  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro does not have an option to adjust the candidate and match scores at run time like you can in ArcMap. ArcGIS Pro does not have a locator properties dialog for geocode services. There really isn't a good solution if you don't have access to the locators that were published to server. 

-Shana

AZendel

Hopefully that will change because this problem will impede quite a number of my workflows.  I'll post in ideas.arcgis.com

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Post it and you'll get my vote!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any updates for this question?  

0 Kudos