Import 3D object on unpdated Terrain of the Earth

04-16-2017 06:09 PM
HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Dear All,

When I wanted to do part of my project on the car park, I found the available Basemap of the area is not updated more than three years. This image is exactly showing the available version of Basemap on ArcGIS Pro.

I was able to get a recent satellite image from a privet sector in the same country, and when I added this image as a layer, unfortunately, I got the right recent image but Terrain of the Earth remains the same (un-updated).

You can see the car park areas in the image. All of them are on a flat area without any differences.

The concern is:

when I want to place a Car Parking Shade that has a height of 5 meters from the ground, then the shade in some places will not be shown. This is because some of the car park areas have hill more than 5 meters.

Is there any suggestion to solve this problem please?

Or

Is there anyway allow me to keep the bottom of the shade starts from the highest point of the car park ground?

I thought to keep the pillars of the shade height more than 30 meters to avoid this problem, but at the same time not feeling satisfied as there is no car park shade with height of 30 meters.!

NOTE: The car park shade is designed in SketchUP program, then import it to ArcGIS pro.

Dan_Patterson

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried "On the ground Elevation Ground: For features that are situated at ground level, such as trees."

Define height characteristics for layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Hi Rickey Fite

Your suggestion was considered but actually the car park shed will be far from the ground with about 30 meters. This attached image shows how is the shed far from the ground due to some hill at some area:

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I did not realize that all the sheds grouped together. I assumed they would be separate. 

I do not know of a way to have a polygon to follow ground contours. 

0 Kudos