I cant create features due to :Value doesn't fall within Domain : XName

06-11-2019 09:06 AM
PhilippeDufour
New Contributor

I got a GDB with many field and domains, when i try to create a feature in this layer, i got a error message : Value doesn't fall within Domain : Xname. 

So i cant create features on ArcGIS Pro but this problem doesnt occurs with Arc map 10.5

9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

figure out which attribute is giving you the issue and add the value to the domain.

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

In Pro, we added functionality to fail the edit if the value is outside of the domain.  If you need to set the attribute to an invalid domain value, rather than adding the value to the domain, you can use Calculate Field from the Attribute table.  

0 Kudos
PeterMilenkovic
Occasional Contributor

The error is caused because pro is expecting a domain value, you can solve this problem by setting a default value for field or make the field nullable.

If a field uses a subtype the you need to set a default value for all subtypes or make them nullable

Hope this helps

EvanOlivier
New Contributor III

This is a bit confusing.

If we have to set the option to not allow null values to ensure the field is required in collector, and we do not want to set a value, then why would Pro not allow this? 

Seems to me that if you were to set a default value, then there would be no field requirement in collector's UI upon adding a feature. Similarly, if you allow it to be nullable, then you also demolish the purpose of a required field....

YinghongLi1
Occasional Contributor

Same rule applies to our data.  We do not want a default value and we do not want the null value.  We want to make sure that user selects a value.  With default or null user may forget to enter a value.  Pro should give user a right to over write this......

TheoF
by
New Contributor II

Yes I have this issue too. I have a domain set on a field, but when I try to add a feature to the layer in Pro it says:

'Failed to create new feature(s). Value doesn't fall within Domain: <domain name>'

Well I need to add the feature before I can input the data! It doesn't even give me the chance. I can't have this field nullable either.

CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

Change settings for editing attributes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

As no solution has been provided, this was supplied to me in the ideas page.

0 Kudos
GelcysWilliams
New Contributor III

Has this been resolved? 

I just created a new Tree feature class, setting 10 fields to NOT allow nulls - some of those fields have Coded Value Domains.  I try to add my first tree test point, and get this error.  I am not going to have a default tree species set, for example?!  I want to pick one from the list while adding the tree.  Help!

0 Kudos
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

This strikes me as pretty crazy as well. I think the functionality should allow you to create the feature, then set the attributes (including the required domain(s)), then save edits. If the attributes don't meet the validation rules, then Pro should refuse saving the edit until the needed value is supplied. You can't change the attributes before the feature is created!

If you have multiple domains on multiple fields, then your editing template would have to be very long to accommodate every possible option.

Maybe I'm missing something or misunderstanding the problem, but pigeonholing us into this situation doesn't make sense. In my case, the feature class is stored in SDE (Enterprise Geodatabase) and has map services pointed at it. So I can't change the schema to allow nulls or set a default value without disabling the map service.

The link to the help file that  @CarsonG suggested did allow me to disable the validation. I wish that this setting was available at the project level (allow this on some Pro projects, not the others) or at the feature class level within a project. This validation could be helpful on feature classes with only one domain.